Just getting started!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hi and welcome to TFF... :hi:

I don't know where the idea of soil came from but it's not needed for those plants to grow and be optimal. Substrate will do fine. If the light will become an issue pricewise when we look at the electrical bill, there are also plants that need less light to do well.

Hi guys, sorry another Q, as per advice on this thread I chose not to use soil as a substrate and got play sand, want to keep a natural look, I plan on getting it planted but the sand is very very fine, just wondering if the roots will be able to penetrate the sand and spread out! Maybe a silly Q but wanted to ask. Thanks

I have a more courser inert substrate that the previous owner or the tank, should I think about mixing them together to give a give more room for the roots or am I barking up the wrong tree here?!

Post a pic of your setup and let's see what you are working with.

People use play sand ALL the time for their planted tanks on here and elsewhere. The plants. Are always looking great meaning their roots have to be doing good as well. In nature sometimes the plants have pass through sand like that so its totally ok to put plants in this sand

Thank you for the reassurance.. I will go ahead..

I will defo send some pics soon.

Attachments

• 16653311164361432432531199878691.jpg
    16653311164361432432531199878691.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 23
Hi gues n girls.. So I've just put all the water in after cleaning and putting in all the okay sand, the sand itswld if extremely fine, almost sludgy when it's wet, still hoping this will be OK for what I will wish to do, water is still murkey and hasn't settled yet, I haven't however started the external filter, feel like I want it to settle first.. Hope it goes well lol.. Juat being honest I wish this sand was a just a little courser and lighter in colour.. If it doesn't settle well I may start over

I have a more courser inert substrate that the previous owner or the tank, should I think about mixing them together to give a give more room for the roots or am I barking up the wrong tree here?!
yes, this is what i would do. it needs to be rinsed well (along with the new sand). but courser grains are better for root penetration than small fine grains.

Hi guys, a much nicer substrate bought and the tank is now cycling.. Want to ask a Q over the quietness.. Its not that's loud but its obvs no longer silent in the room, I happy with this but was just wondering, if I raise the height of the water which will then not create as loud a splashing sound from the spray bar, this would likely create less water agitation would this an issue at all? I've already put the external filter on a spongey pad so it absorbs the vibrations a bit. I hope my Q makes sense!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back