Just getting started!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hosh85

Reaction score
Hi all

Boight my first (second hand) tank a few days ago, I got a fluval roma 125. The plan is to keep tropical fish. Was sold to me with the Fluval 206 filter amongst a few other bits

I'm deciding whether to go planted on non planted, I can see the substarte for planted is quite dear but many recommend organic potting soil, I see the planted needs the lights on for much longer so will altogether likely "cost" more over time etc. But then on the flip note I hear a planted aquarium creates a much better environment for the fish.. True?

Would love to here some ideas, as I'm new to it I don't want to jump in the deep end and make mistakes, my first concern is the health and wellbeing of the fish over looks etc.

Best.l,
Hosh

Plants are ALWAYS highly beneficial. Not only would fish rather swim in real plants instead of hard plastic, but the plants also help remove ammonia (NH³) from the water.
So yes definitely do planted. Get fast growers and make sure you have a deep sandbed.

By the way, welcome to the forum! Sorry for not doing that in the beginning!

Make sure yoh read up on fish less cycling and the nitrogen cycle. All aquariums go through it and it has to be done to maintain a healthy tank. There are ways of "adding fish instantly" but members who do that have been in the hobby for 30+yrs and know what their doing. My recommendation would be to do a fishless method of cycling.

Here is a good link:

There are high tech planted tanks and low tech planted tanks. The difference? Low tech don't need special substrates or fancy lights or injected CO2. They just need something for the roots to grow in (sand is best if you intend bottom dwelling fish) and plant fertiliser.

Look at this website for ideas, search by "easy" under difficulty.

Thank you for the welcome and of course il be doing a the fishless cycle, I imagine il have it going for atleast 2 wks prior to any introduction of fish. I've bought some aquarium soil yesterday along with a lovely wood centrepiece that I will boil daily for 5 days, and so my bed will be 2-3inches of soil and then fine sand

I have the external fluval filter, so the water coming in will create agitation for o2, but will this along with the plants be enough? Would you recommend one of those bubble stones devices to be installed? Thanks again!

Also what would be the consensus on the sand, I've read on here children play sand (significantly cheaper) is OK to use but there's are varying schools of thought.. What would you folk say?

You don’t need aquarium soil. Just sand or gravel.
Aquarium soil will just add more problems to a beginners life.

No soil at all? I should just fill the tank with a ton of sand then? Should I get course or would fine be OK? What problems do you speak of please? I've bought it now feel inclined to use it but if it genuinely will cause me me loads of issues il of course leave it!

Aquarium soil can leach ammonia into the water for months, meaning no fish until it has stopped. Once the nutrients in the soil have been used up, the soil becomes the same as a non-plant substrate and you have to use fertiliser.
Look at Argos play sand. Cheaper than aquarium sand and just as good.

I've bought it now feel inclined to use it but if it genuinely will cause me me loads of issues il of course leave it!
Can you return it?

OK thanks, I think I may follow this advice, would sand then be the best substrate? I have some course pebbly gravel at home already, would it be worth mixing the sand with this.. Also if I down this road, what fertiliser products would you recommend? How's often does the tank need it? Would this be used in conjuction with root tabs or is this an alternative? Sorry for all the Qs!

If you mix sand and gravel, the sand will all end up underneath the gravel.
Sand is important if you want bottom dwelling fish; if you don't want these gravel is fine.

Fertiliser comes in two types - liquid for those plants which feed through their leaves, and tablets (root tabs) for those plants which feed through their roots. Root tabs are pushed down into the substrate next to the root feeding plants. I use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement liquid (caution - there are several Seachem products with Flourish in the name) and Seachem Flourish root tabs. In the UK, TNC Lite is another good liquid fertiliser.
I dose liquid fertiliser once a week at half the recommended dose, and add new root tabs every 3 months.

Hi all

Boight my first (second hand) tank a few days ago, I got a fluval roma 125. The plan is to keep tropical fish. Was sold to me with the Fluval 206 filter amongst a few other bits

I'm deciding whether to go planted on non planted, I can see the substarte for planted is quite dear but many recommend organic potting soil, I see the planted needs the lights on for much longer so will altogether likely "cost" more over time etc. But then on the flip note I hear a planted aquarium creates a much better environment for the fish.. True?

Would love to here some ideas, as I'm new to it I don't want to jump in the deep end and make mistakes, my first concern is the health and wellbeing of the fish over looks etc.

Best.l,
Hosh
Welcome!!

If you mix sand and gravel, the sand will all end up underneath the gravel.
Sand is important if you want bottom dwelling fish; if you don't want these gravel is fine.

Fertiliser comes in two types - liquid for those plants which feed through their leaves, and tablets (root tabs) for those plants which feed through their roots. Root tabs are pushed down into the substrate next to the root feeding plants. I use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement liquid (caution - there are several Seachem products with Flourish in the name) and Seachem Flourish root tabs. In the UK, TNC Lite is another good liquid fertiliser.
I dose liquid fertiliser once a week at half the recommended dose, and add new root tabs every 3 months.
Thank you for this. I'm going to go with just sand in this case. (play sand from argos) Much appreciated. I will update as I go along.

Hi guys n girls

One more Q, going to start cycling the tank soon and want to give a very very good clean, there are white (what I assume is either limescale or calcium) on the lid of the tank, and around the piping of the filter.. Seems to scrape of pretty easily but to be thorough what's best to clean them, can I place the bits in warm water and vinegar as I have read online? Of course clean it with boiling water after to remove all the vinegar.. Or best to use hot water and a scouring pad? Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back