Just curious to know

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mlee0332

Fish Addict
Reaction score
How easy are african cichlids to keep... I am soon planning to get a species tank, and I like their colors. Are they good for a kinda begginer with a little experience? Or are they not so good for me...

well, at my lfs's they only label them as african cichlids, so i have no idea what types they are :*)

well, at my lfs's they only label them as african cichlids

Not a good start i'm afraid, the key with African's is to research the fish you want very carefully and know exactly what you are buying. Good LFS will normally label their cichlids accurately rather than a vague generic term. That said, have a word with your LFS, if they know their stuff, they should be able to identify the fish for you.

Most African's, particularly Mbuna from lake Malawi are aggressive fish and combinations must be chosen carefully. If you do your research thoroughly, establish the tank correctly and select the right tank mates you can have a wonderful setup. Have a look at some fish you like, get their full name and start your research on them. Post your ideas here for some good advice. Whilst there's a bit of work involved, its well worth it, they are incredible fish.

Have a look at the pinned article at the top of this forum for some more specific info.

The petsmart near me has a tank named "African Cichlids" as well.

Your best bet is to go surfing around online fish stores and looking at pictures until you can identify the ones in that tank (it isn't that hard usuallly).

The ones they keep in petsmart in the african tank are kennyi (psuedotrophes lombardoi SP?) and Jewel Cichlids (Hemichromis bimaculatus) which really don't belong together unless special care is taken- or you get lucky.

Recently they have added a green and black colored cichlid i have yet to identify, but i'm happy with my setup atm and haven't really researched them. They look a bit like puffers in coloration and the acei in shape.

If you can't identify the species, try to grab a digital camera and post some pics. Many people on this site will be happy to help you identify them and give care recommendations!

I find the africans very easy to keep as long as you can get the water conditions right, and provide enough hiding places. I'm keeping malawi's btw.

I cant get pics of them, b/c it against their policy. Prolly som no one can turn in pics of the bad conditions to PETA pr the ASPCA, so I'll have to do my best...

Thank you all!

Hey,

I know i would be glad to help you identify the fish you are interested in from just a description (as would others on this forum).

A picture would be best, but you do what you can :)

I am certainly not an expert, but with a description i can usually point to the most likely species. I have spent the last 3 months scouring the net for all cichild info and pictures i can find.

Good luck with your choice, and i hope it works out! I have been very lucky with my choices- but if you try to stick with ONE of the african lakes you should do okay! The problems seem to arise in mixing them.

Also look for compatible diets and close sizes!

I wouldn't look on the following link as the way to care for the fish as some of the info is narrow, or just plain wrong- HOWEVER they have a nice list of common cichlids with pictures. You can use this to figure out their scientific name and do a more thorough search.

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10cichlids.htm

That's the site i used for ID when starting out anyways :)

One of the most important things i can say about keeping these (or any) fish is to do research. It is often contradicting, but you will get a feel for what is normal (generally easy) and what is just possible (a bit harder). I read for about 2 months before buying my first malawi cichlid- and have been reading for about 5 months now about a FOWLR system (will try it sometime this year).

There is no reason to rush it IMO.

Hope my ramblings help you!

Start by narrowing it down to the correct lake. The most common are Malawi cichlids, followed by Tanganyika and sometimes from lake Victoria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back