Just Bought......

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bubblej17

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi all, i've just got back from my lfs and yet again spent a fortune lol, i got myself loads of plants and a huge bag of large pebbles,
now my plan is to have my (back right hand corner of my tank) a layer of fine gravel first then my arangement of stacked pebbles and plant my plants whilst stacking, what do you guys think of this idea?
im using a layer of gravel to help my plants root, would the plants root in pebbles?
this is the first time i've had plants for ages last time i tried my fish were not compatible but now i have small calm non plant destroyers lol,
any advice would be greatful, thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Sounds good :) but plants dont do to well in peddles as the larger size prevents proper root development, small 3mm gravel is best.

Show us some pics once you get it set up :)

Sam

Sounds good :) but plants dont do to well in peddles as the larger size prevents proper root development, small 3mm gravel is best.

Show us some pics once you get it set up :)

Sam

i have pics downloading on photobucket now will get them on shortly, would it help for the plants to root if i put them in fine gravel then stacked the pebbles around them?

here is my plan in action, feel free to leave comments
my tank is plain glass bottom as i dunno what to put in it yet (cory's love it though) lol

04102007011.jpg

04102007014.jpg

04102007007.jpg

Sorry to tell you this but it looks to me like you've been had.

The only aquatic plant is the Sword Front right.

The rest are all non aquatic.

I would get a substrate in there for the cories

Not too keen on the bell either. lol

Andy

Sorry to tell you this but it looks to me like you've been had.

The only aquatic plant is the Sword Front right.

The rest are all non aquatic.

I would get a substrate in there for the cories

Not too keen on the bell either. lol

Andy

like i said i've never had plants and dont know alot about them,
i will get substrate when i find some i like and i have to keep the bell as its my plec's house
but thanks for been honest lol

When you get your substrate, consider sand or something thats quite a fine grain size for your cories :) They love to dance about and root through the sand but anything too large can damage their barbs around their mouths :(

Your plec will probably enjoy burrowing in it too :)

The bell isn't to my taste either but that being said, maybe you could arrange it so its at an angle (maybe some stones under one edge, hidden) to make it look like its dropped onto the river bed and landed, not placed :)

I'm sure your plec loves it anyway, and thats the main thing!

Edit: Just a quick cautionary note - be carful with the stones at the moment, you'd be suprised how easy it can be to drop one and damage the glass bottom :(

I like the bell :good:

But, as Dev says, most of those plants are non-aquatic and will need to be removed.

The whole cory and barbel thing is, in my opinion, a bit misleading. Corydoras come from a massive range of habitats, from sand, mud, gravel etc etc - no cory have issues with barbels and I've even seen some kept on crushed (but rounded) glass. Mine were fine in standard pea gravel though I would steer clear from any sharp substrate - if it feels scratchy in your hand then it may not be a good idea.

I kind of like the pile of stones thing but I agree that something like sand (or 2-3mm gravel) would make a good base layer in the aquarium - plants will not root to any useful manner in the pebbles - they may send roots out but those roots are looking for nutrients (and to try and anchor the plants down), neither of which they will manage with the pebbles.

Personally I'd be tempted to ask the LFS why they sold you non-aquatic plants? They may last a while but long term they won't do well at all. Could be worth looking at a cheap but good online supplier like Greenline - you'd get a huge selection of plants in a £10 bundle and all will be aquatic.

www.aquaticplants.eu.com

thanks for everyone's replys and idea's,
im so annoyed as to why my lfs would sell these plants if they are none aquatic, it is obvious not everyone knows alot about plants and will buy them anyway like me (am sure im not alone) but its frustrating, thanks nry i will try that plant website, as for sand for substrate not a chance had it once before and hated it ive been looking at very small rounded gravel as i know thats what my cory's need,
as for these stupid plants i bought im gonna dig them out tommorrow night and re-arange my tank, got to keep the bell though even if it is just me and esfa who like it lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back