Just A Quick Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SOOTY

Reaction score
Mi tank has been set up for two weeks.

I've got two guppys in there.

There is algae growing in the tank as I can see it on the stones and wood in there.

I've tested the water tonight and it is showing no ammonia present and no nitrite.

I've not tested for nitrate as I don't have the kit. Will get this tomorrow.

Question is should the ammonia levels and nitrite be showing as not present or should there be something in there?

Or could the tank have cycled quite quickly hence why they aren't showing.

It's a 16g tank.

It depends on what you are using for filtration and how much food you are putting in. Two guppies will not produce an awful lot of ammonia, uneaten food will though so as a guess I would say this is only starting to build up now, you will need to watch it over the next week or two and be very sparing with the food.

Are you planning on getting more fish? If you get a lot more fish or a couple of larger fish the process will begin again and perhaps more aggresively.

How big is the tank. 2 guppies in a large tank will not produce a great deal of ammonia, and it may need a bit more to kick start the cycle

It's a 16g hexagonal tank.

I put a couple of flakes in there when I feed and I watch the fish eat this within a couple of minutes.

I'm being wary with the food as not wanting to polute the water.

Would it be advisable to get a couple more guppys in there maybe to help it along???

Any other fish that might be worth putting in?

I intend on getting more fish yeah

To cycle the tank, you have to have a source of ammonia, either from fish waste or rotting food. You could feed more or add a couple more fish, preferably hardy fish. Feeder guppies are often good for cycling tanks

Zebra danio's are a hardy fish.

They are best in groups of 5 or 6, you can always rehome them when your tank is cycled if they are not your preference.

On saying that you are best to take your guppies back to the store and do a fishless cycle, prawns are the in thing and then you will not have possible death of fish and have to restock.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back