Just a few questions...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I do agree that a 9-page thread, with changes to the "intended" fish so numerous, does make it difficult to know just where we are at this point. My advice would be to do a post with the current fish intended, before any are bought or ordered, so we can all see where things stand. And including the GH and pH of the tap water as a reminder, so we know.

Another question: should I get my shrimp before my fish? and I'm getting another bunch of egeria for my aquarium will it be enough?
water wisteria with water sprite, egeria densa.JPEG

I removed the driftwood to make space for plants and for fish to swim. Also did some aquascaping.

Just noticed post #125 you suggest you are going to breed Cardinals to get to your school size of 20 fish. From my experience Cardinals won't produce young in a community tank. If you want a Tetra that will breed look at Black Phantoms, Lemons or Serpaes these will all breed readily in a heavily planted community tank.

Just noticed post #125 you suggest you are going to breed Cardinals to get to your school size of 20 fish. From my experience Cardinals won't produce young in a community tank. If you want a Tetra that will breed look at Black Phantoms, Lemons or Serpaes these will all breed readily in a heavily planted community tank.
I'm going to breed them in my 10g.

I did. apparently they need about 1-2 KH, less than 3 dGH, and ph 5-5.5.
Then you will know about the fry being very light sensitive. The first two weeks of the fry's life is the tricky part. You will have no trouble with the softness of the tank or the pH. that is the easy bit.

I held back a response simply because I was still unsure about combining shrimp with fish. You're determined to go ahead with it, so I thought I'd get the popcorn ready and sit and watch what happened.
I'm hoping you'll be presenting us with lots of learning opportunities.

It is possible to keep fish and shrimps together, I've done it. But the majority of fish will eat shrimps. Some will eat adults shrimps but most will eat baby shrimps.
I had red cherry shrimps in a 54 litre tank with Boraras urophthalmoides (sometimes sold as sparrow rasboras) and pygmy cories. The tank had java fern and a tangle of hornwort. When I had to close that tank I moved all the occupants to my 180 litre and later, after my last betta died, I moved the shrimps to his tank as their numbers were declining in the 180 litre.
Fish must be chosen carefully for a tank with shrimps.

It is possible to keep fish and shrimps together, I've done it. But the majority of fish will eat shrimps. Some will eat adults shrimps but most will eat baby shrimps.
I had red cherry shrimps in a 54 litre tank with Boraras urophthalmoides (sometimes sold as sparrow rasboras) and pygmy cories. The tank had java fern and a tangle of hornwort. When I had to close that tank I moved all the occupants to my 180 litre and later, after my last betta died, I moved the shrimps to his tank as their numbers were declining in the 180 litre.
Fish must be chosen carefully for a tank with shrimps.
I'm suspecting that paying attention to the mouth size of fish would be a starting point.
Heavily planted with plenty of hiding places* would give some shrimplets a chance of survival, until they grew up a tad.

*No different than providing for livebearers.

That's why I kept them with very small fish ;) Yes, they probably ate quite a few baby shrimps but not enough to stop the population increasing. When I closed the tank I removed 92 shrimps ranging from adults to newly hatched babies. And I probably missed a number of newly hatched shrimplets as it's hard to spot tiny shrimps against sand.

Ahhhh.....With that selection of fish I would expect the shrimps to be expensive fish food. Having witnessed similar sized fish in my main tank actively hunting shrimps and killing them, I doubt many shrimps would survive, I'm afraid.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back