Just a few questions...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Ace Hardware was closed. I can only find Ammonium Chloride. How do I mix it

What is this for? Don't put this in the tank, whatever the reason.

Is aquarium salt good to keep at standby in case my fish get ich or something?

As others have I think mentioned, you treat ich with increased heat. Salt has a different use, I won't go into that, but it is OK to have some aquarium salt (API produce this, others likely do as well) but it must be kept very dry. If moisture from the air gets in the open container, it can weaken the salt (or something, I know it is not advisable).

Other forums state that API melafix is fine. why do you disagree? Also, pls answer question above about ammonium chloride..

Melafix and Primafix should not be used, period. There is known evidence that some fish can be seriously impacted by these. Personally I doubt they have much value anyway, whatever the "problem." Clean water and not using chemicals/medications unless absolutely essential will result in healthy fish. And avoiding stress, and stress (which is the cause of 90% of fish disease/problems) will occur with almost any medication/chemical/substance added to the tank water.

What is the ammonium chloride for?

Animallover wants to do a fishless cycle and use ammonium chloride for that since there is no ammonia solution available.

what about dry fish pellets or raw/ cooked prawn for cycling the tank?
just add a small amount of hard dry pellet food or a bit of prawn and wait until the ammonia level is 3ppm. Then remove the food and let it cycle.

Is your Ammonium Chloride same as the one sold by Dr Tim?

You can read this on how to do fishless cycle(step by step) by Dr Tim with his products:
Read carefully as there is a lot of information here.

Also, get his live bacteria. Get the one for freshwater and not the marine fish as their prices are different.

You can also try other brands of live bacteria which may be cheaper such as Tetra Safe Start, API Quick Start, NT Lab Filter Starter, FritzZyme 7 Freshwater.

If not, you can try to buy online though they are expensive.

Last edited:
Is your Ammonium Chloride same as the one sold by Dr Tim?
No, I am getting ammonium chloride that is not branded for aquarium use. Also, Dr Tim's is very pricy.
Also, get his live bacteria. Get the one for freshwater and not the marine fish as their prices are different.
I already have nitrifying bacteria that has good reviews.
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/...ed-capsules-water-quality-purifier-supplies-f

Read his fishless cycling link. Thanks!

It would be much safer to go the "silent cycle" route. You mention intending plants, so set up the tank with the plants, and once they are showing signs of growth you can add fish. No ammonia, no "cycling" as such. I've been setting up dozens of tanks this way for years.

Is this good substrate for the plants?

It is the fish that should determine the substrate, as some are impacted by what they have to root around in; some need inert sand. I've forgotten where we are in this thread with fish, but this should be considered.

I personally would never again waste my money on so-called plant substrates. They may (or more likely may not) have much benefit for plants, but they can have significant issues for fish.

Wow! Then I'll get inert substrate. For the silent cycle, I have chosen these plants: Amazon Sword, hornwort, Water Wisteria, Frogbit, Java Moss and Ludwigia Natans Super Red. Sounds good?

Last edited:
If you use an inert substrate, Amazon swords will need root tablet fertiliser placed in the substrate near the roots and a new one put in according to the instructions every few months. Hornwort, frogbit and Java moss need a liquid fertiliser added to the water as they take up nutrients through their leaves. I don't know which group water wisteria and ludwigia fall into but some else will.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back