Jungle Style

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bufo Bill

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone describe to me the principles of the "Jungle" style of planted tank, as mentioned by George Farmer in past issues of PFK?

Many thanks from Bill.

Jungle style is basically lots of stem plants amongst other things, and it growing all over the place. Little bit disorganised but can look really great if you get it right. Lots of thick growth basically.

Jungle style is basically lots of stem plants amongst other things, and it growing all over the place. Little bit disorganised but can look really great if you get it right. Lots of thick growth basically.
I seem to have been unconciously making tanks in this style! :lol: Some what short of perfecting it though ;)
All the best from Bill.

Just adding to this although admittedly much belated. lol New forum style it has appeared and I missed it first time around.

I have to say I disagree totally with the above (Supercoley disagreeing. lol....No surprises there :) )

Jungle is not just loads of plants thrown in to grow willy nilly. That is what many describe the style as however if you just throw stuff in then it isn't a style at all. To call it a style in the first place means that you have decided what you are doing and therefore not just throwing it all in.

To me Jungle Style can be any of the other styles really (NA, Dutch etc) where instead of manicuring the appearance of the plants (pruning to the umpteenth minute detail etc) you let the plants have a little freedom. The original plan is there and implemented however the end result is much different.

That is not to say that it is 'wild' because when you plan it out you have in mind what the plants are going to do and the vision is still there however it can be a little hit and miss and you may alter things along the way.

I tend to think it is harder than other styles (if it truly was planned) because you have to envisage what the plants are going to do whereas the others you will prune them into the shapes/textures you want to achieve.

Andy

^^I agree with that Andy, if i had to plan a jungle style tank, it would be really hard to actually plan. IMO it would be easier to plan a dutch or an Iwagumi.

Just adding to this although admittedly much belated. lol New forum style it has appeared and I missed it first time around.

I have to say I disagree totally with the above (Supercoley disagreeing. lol....No surprises there :) )

Jungle is not just loads of plants thrown in to grow willy nilly. That is what many describe the style as however if you just throw stuff in then it isn't a style at all. To call it a style in the first place means that you have decided what you are doing and therefore not just throwing it all in.

To me Jungle Style can be any of the other styles really (NA, Dutch etc) where instead of manicuring the appearance of the plants (pruning to the umpteenth minute detail etc) you let the plants have a little freedom. The original plan is there and implemented however the end result is much different.

That is not to say that it is 'wild' because when you plan it out you have in mind what the plants are going to do and the vision is still there however it can be a little hit and miss and you may alter things along the way.

I tend to think it is harder than other styles (if it truly was planned) because you have to envisage what the plants are going to do whereas the others you will prune them into the shapes/textures you want to achieve.

Andy

I agree, a good jungle scape means that the scaper really can forsee plant growth weeks, months, or even years down the road. That takes some pretty hefty skill. I love me a good jungle scape!

I have to agree there, it can happen accidently tho, I've had it on a few occasions using crypts rather than stems and over time with the odd one moved due to height issues it became a jungle when I was going for a low dense midground feel.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back