Jumping Parrot fish. Is it a problem?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gambl0r

Reaction score
Hey,

Have a 240 Litre tank set up and recently our two Parrot fish have started Jumping out of the water and banging their head of the top.

I've seen them in action a few times and they seem to swim near to the surface, pause looking at the top of the water and then suddenly just go for it.

They look perfectly healthy to me but someone suggested that fish jumping out of the water can be a sign that they are trying to "scratch" themselves to relieve an irritation.

It's been getting more frequent and I was just wondering has anyone else had a similar experience.

Mike

Do you test your water? What are your readings? Poor water quality may be the cause of such behaviour in any species of fish... They will usualy scratch themselves by swimming against the gravel and rubbing on the glass - not jumping out...

This may sound kind of off the wall, but is there anything the BPs may be mistaking for food just above the water line.....mine will sometimes go at the glass, near the lid, if something is hanging down for them to see.

Just a suggestion, but definitley test the water too......some fish also jump out, sort of uncontrolled-like, if they have ick.......... :/

silver said:
This may sound kind of off the wall, but is there anything the BPs may be mistaking for food just above the water line.....mine will sometimes go at the glass, near the lid, if something is hanging down for them to see.
My one tends to do this everynight in the same corner, she is seeing somthing that she thinks is food.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back