Julii Cory or false Julii?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Agrigor

Reaction score
I recently purchased a few corydoras and was wondering if someone could help me identify the species. They were listed as Julii Cory’s.

Thank you in advance!
ECA0F9C2-474E-4795-A120-4D2123CECBC9.jpeg

I recently purchased a few corydoras and was wondering if someone could help me identify the species. They were listed as Julii Cory’s.

Thank you in advance! View attachment 309088
that is a False Julii
I have never seen a real julii in person before, I am not sure why they are so rare

Good eye there on spotting the mistake from the store.
The whole 'false julii' tracks out of a mistake made 70 years ago, when patterned Corys without masks were misidentified and sold as C. julii. When the mistake was discovered, julii had already become a common name in North America, at least. I bought 'julii' in the equivalent of walmarts when I was a kid.
Rather than start importing the fish as what they are, the 'false' thing was tacked on. There is a real Corydoras julii that is rarely imported.
The same name foolishness affect the famous Kribensis Cichlid. The one you buy as a Krib was a botched identification around the same time. Their species name in Pelvicachromis pulcher. The fish the hobby thought they were is P. kribensis, and it gets no respect. I think it's a much nicer fish, bit no one buys it because they think it's common.

Both julii and kribensis were victims of identity theft, and the mistakes of importers long gone turned their scientific names into common names.

The real Corydoras jullii is happily swimming in a region rarely visited by fish collectors because it's off the beaten track. When I see a tank labelled as containing trilineatus, I figure the store owner knows something about Corys.
When I see "false julii" or even julii on a tank, I figure they don't.

Good eye there on spotting the mistake from the store.
The whole 'false julii' tracks out of a mistake made 70 years ago, when patterned Corys without masks were misidentified and sold as C. julii. When the mistake was discovered, julii had already become a common name in North America, at least. I bought 'julii' in the equivalent of walmarts when I was a kid.
Rather than start importing the fish as what they are, the 'false' thing was tacked on. There is a real Corydoras julii that is rarely imported.
The same name foolishness affect the famous Kribensis Cichlid. The one you buy as a Krib was a botched identification around the same time. Their species name in Pelvicachromis pulcher. The fish the hobby thought they were is P. kribensis, and it gets no respect. I think it's a much nicer fish, bit no one buys it because they think it's common.

Both julii and kribensis were victims of identity theft, and the mistakes of importers long gone turned their scientific names into common names.

The real Corydoras jullii is happily swimming in a region rarely visited by fish collectors because it's off the beaten track. When I see a tank labelled as containing trilineatus, I figure the store owner knows something about Corys.
When I see "false julii" or even julii on a tank, I figure they don't.
Thank you again for your kind and informative reply!

I also bought some "julii" corys from the pet shop.

Attachments

• 20230125_171841-01.jpeg
    20230125_171841-01.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 26
A few months ago, I wanted some trilineatus and had to find them as punctatus. Is there something wrong with calling this one poor fish by its own name? I have seen it as axelrodi, punctatus, julii, but rarely as trilineatus.

If I ever have a son, I will name him trilineatus, because none of the other kids will have that name. I just hope he never falls in love with a false julii and gets his heart broken.

trilineatus = false julii so there won't be a problem for your son 😂

C.punctatus and C.axelrodi are completely different fish. C.punctatus isn't in trade but several are called like that cause it means "spotted"

Tri = Three
Lineatus = lined

this is one of four very similarly-patterned cories that are frequently confused and will often be seen in stores under incorrect names. Corydoras julii, C. leopardus, C. punctatus and C. trilineatus all share a large black blotch in the dorsal fin, a barred caudal fin, and a horizontal stripe along the body at the juncture of the dorsal and ventral lateral plates; the body is spotted. However, all four species are highly variable in their pattern.

Most reactions

Back