Julies Dickfeldi And...? (anything?) 35gl - Further Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

One_Trick_Pony

Steals the show
Reaction score
Hi guys

Finally got the tank set up and cycled, see the pic Below. The tank is apx 35 gallons
40in x 12in x 18 in

Now the final plan is to include a pair of Julidochromis Dickfeldi, and ideally something else as well, the tank is pretty long and thin giving the impression (I think) that its larger then it really is. The Dickfeldi my heart are set on, and if nothing else works it will be just the two of them, ideally though id like something else to avoid it looking totally empty.

Neolamprolugus Bricardi would be one thought, but I assume that’s simply asking for trouble?

The other option I guess are Shellies of some kind, I will be limited here by there not being a huge choice in my locality

Would the Julie / Shellie plan work in the tank set up as is, with the addition of some shells at one of course, or are there any other options I should look at?

Many Thanks for any advice, I know these questions come up a lot, (in my defence its not just a stocking question also a does this décor work question!)

pete1.jpg

The tank looks great - really nice :good:

Have you considered Calvus? A couple of black or yellow Calvus should work just fine with the Juli's

Thansk Ferris!

its a good sugguestion actually, though not totally sure i am keen on them

do you think the above mention Shellie / Juli would work

Possibly Brevis sunspots since i saw these over at maidainhead Bold heath near Widnes and they caught my eye?

I don't see why not - there's enough room in the tank and neither species are overly aggressive. :good:

a pair of shell dwellers would be fine with dickfeldis. You can have more than a pair of julidochromis in the tank. I used to have a colony of 10 x J. ornatus in a similar sized tank. They all had their territories and the occassional squabble would occur, but no blood was spilt. Cyprichromis and Paracyprichromis would be ok with them. They are mid to surface dwelling schooling fish. If you don't mind rainbowfish they do well in with dickfeldis. Possibly look at Melanotaenia praecox.

thanks for the input Ferris

any recommand palces to get these since we live so close, as mentioned i have seen them at Maidian head bold heath, though they may well be gone by the time i return form my holidays (i wont be getting the fish till then anyway)?

Oasis in Salford could be a good bet? would even be able to get out to Wharf actually, (guess maybe i answered my own question there!)

Oasis is my LFS and whilst they are great for African's - the species they actually have in stock varies a great deal. Might be worth a phone call before a visit. :good:

ack its round the corner and alwasy an interesting little trip!

will start activly looking on my return!

Little bump here as well with a further question,

Ferris, i have looked again at the Altolamprologus calvus and have decided I do actually like them a lot, ( i think from the pictures i had thought they were huge fish, looked at there Dimensions there actually quite small).

Now I am aware the tank in question is really on the small side 36 Gl, and that you suggested the Calvus along side the Julis whilst making no mention of any Shellie’s

Would

1 pair Julies
1 pair Calvus (or one?)
and
3-5 Shellies (berives, brevis sun spot, or Multis most likely)

Work

or is that pushing it to far?

OTP

ps i found this desciption of the Calvus that makes me think the above may be asking for trouble

Alto. calvus is a predator, and specializes in snatching young cichlids and invertebrates from between rock crevices and rock piles.

If you do go for shellies I would do the multies. They are the best colony fish IMO and you can have quite a large group (1M,3-4F) rather than a pair without any problems. Just be prepared to rehome some fry as the are prolific breeders.

p.s. The tank looks great! Absolutely stunning.

Little bump here as well with a further question,

Ferris, i have looked again at the Altolamprologus calvus and have decided I do actually like them a lot, ( i think from the pictures i had thought they were huge fish, looked at there Dimensions there actually quite small).

Now I am aware the tank in question is really on the small side 36 Gl, and that you suggested the Calvus along side the Julis whilst making no mention of any Shellie’s

Would

1 pair Julies
1 pair Calvus (or one?)
and
3-5 Shellies (berives, brevis sun spot, or Multis most likely)

Work

or is that pushing it to far?

OTP

ps i found this desciption of the Calvus that makes me think the above may be asking for trouble

Alto. calvus is a predator, and specializes in snatching young cichlids and invertebrates from between rock crevices and rock piles.

Sounds like a great tank to me with 1 Clavus or a pair. :good:

The Calvus may get any resulting fry but will not go for adult shellies.

Great thanks,

No issues with over stocking or major incompatability in a one trick pony hyporthetical tank? unheard of!

Would i add them all at once? or bit by bit, if so is one order better then another?

to what extent can i dictate where the shellie go by placment of shells, or will they always move them as they please?

OTP

I would add all the fish together.
Monitor the water quality tho because of the high PH of rift lake water. Any ammonia in this high PH water will be lethal to fish.

its completly cycled, and beign kept that way with ammonia....

will of course double and triple check on my retrun form holiday, detailed insturctions have been left........

All sounds good then. :good: keep us posted (including pics) :D

Most reactions

trending

Back