Jewel Cichlid Acting Very Strange

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tropical_Dave

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi everyone, i have a breeding pair of adult jewels, along with about 100 fry. couple of weeks ago i put them in a new 25g tank.
they have been doing ok in there, got a little stressed and lossed their colour but it has been coming back and they have been coming out of hiding more and more. but earlier tonight the male just suddenly went crazy darting all over the tank and is now hiding right in the top corner behind the filter, at first i thought he had got stuck so i pulled the filter forward and he just wouldnt budge, i tried to help him out but he just kept going back into that corner and hes still there now.
i find this very strange as they have never acted like this before. any sugestions as to why he's being like this?

Are the 100 fry also in the 25 gallon tank?

Need to look at your water stats please.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temp.

We do need to look at your water stats as it the first thing to look at when fish
start darting around the tank. Or we will just be guessing to what's going on.

For now a water change and increase aeration.

sorry it took so long to reply, so i tested the water and this is what i got:
ammonia - 0ppm
nitrite - 0.05ppm
nitrate - 10ppm
ph - 7.5-8

i noticed the nitrites were a bit high so i did a 50% water change.

its like the male got spooked by something, he's been hiding behind the filter all day, yet the female is just acting normal.
and yes all the fry are in with the parents, but they are all acting normal as well.

I think you need to start to rehome the fry as it putting to much on your bio load.
Keep up with water changes as bad water quality can make fish dart around the tank.
How is the fish acting today?

yeah ive been looking for people who want some fry, hopefully not to use as food as ive heard people like to do that :(
he's still hiding behind the filter, i think i saw him poke out a little earlier but not much.
ive just done another test and the results are better but still need to improve.
thanks for your help :)

Explains his behaviour.
Keep up with the water changes.
Good Luck.

so its been a couple of days now, he's still hiding but he does pop out more and more, water is getting better, nitrites are nearly 0, i have reduced feeding the fry and all is going good so far :)

Thanks for the update.
Have you thought about taking some of the fry to the LFS.
I didn't like having to give my babies to them either, but sometimes you just
get over run with them.

yeah my lfs said they would have some when they are big enough, but someone just gave them some adult jewels 2 weeks ago, different variety to mine, either way they dont have any space as of yet, but there are a few other stores not far away that said they maybe able to take some in :)

OK.
100 fry a lot.
Good Luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back