Jelly Beans

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Clinton

Reaction score
How long will it take a breading pair to bread? And how long will it take for the eggs to hatch???????? :rolleyes:

If you want to make bread out of jelly-beans and eggs, you'll also need flour and yeast.
Mix them up and leave the dough to rise, then bake slowly in a medium oven.
But enough of the cooking lessons, this is a fish forum! ;) :lol:

Seriously though, here's some questions we need answered before we can tell you if your fish can be bred and how to go about breeding them:

What sized tank?
How big & how old are the fish?
Are you sure you have a male & female?
What else is in the tank?
What do you feed them?
How long have you had them?
Are you sure that they're jellybeans and not bloods?

SirMinion said:
If you want to make bread out of jelly-beans and eggs, you'll also need flour and yeast.
Mix them up and leave the dough to rise, then bake slowly in a medium oven.
But enough of the cooking lessons, this is a fish forum!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol:

What sized tank?
10 gallon
How big & how old are the fish?
1"
Are you sure you have a male & female?
yes
What else is in the tank?
nothing
What do you feed them?
blood worms and flakes
How long have you had them?
3 weeks
Are you sure that they're jellybeans and not bloods?
yes

know what?????????

10 gallons is no where near big enough for one of these fish, let alone a pair, they grow quite large - 6 to 10 inches and won't even think of breeding until they are much, much bigger than one inch.

Can you really reliably sex a one inch parrot?

for your info they had fry but I think the male ate them
I know this because they had brown eggs
and white things with eyes swimin around. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

oh dear god I HOPE mine don't mate :eek:

They are evil little fish.(well mine are i have 3 bigger than 1inch.)

Clinton said:
for your info they had fry but I think the male ate them
I know this because they had brown eggs
and white things with eyes swimin around.
Eggs & fry from a pair of one-inch parrots in a ten gallon tank within the 12 days since you started this thread?

I don't think so.

Umm... you posted on the 1st of May. SirMinion posted on the 12th of May. How does that add up to 23? I mean I'm not the worst at maths but you've gone wrong somewhere... :p

Anyway, how can 1" parrots breed? How did you sex them anyway at that size? Did your LFS do it for you? Just curious cause I certainly couldn't manage to do that. Besides that, you need to get them a new tank.

SirMinion said:
10 gallons is no where near big enough for one of these fish, let alone a pair, they grow quite large - 6 to 10 inches and won't even think of breeding until they are much, much bigger than one inch.

Can you really reliably sex a one inch parrot?
jelly beans never get any bigger than 2-4 inches, and they can breed at 1 inch, ive seen fry from them, dude get ur info right, the jelly bean parrot is a cross between a bloodparrot and a convict

I agree that it is possible a pair could breed that small. Most of us have seen convicts breed that small, and jellybeans have a lot of convict blood in them. What cichlid said that I don't agree with is
jelly beans never get any bigger than 2-4 inches,
. Being hybrids, there is absolutely no way to accurately say that never will a jellybean grow larger than 2-4". Cons can grow to 6" and blood parrots can grow 6-8" or even larger so it's highly possible, even probable, that jellybeans can also grow to at least 6". :)

Breed at one inch? That's smaller than a neon.

In my experiance and in everything I've ever read about them anywhere, undyed jellybean parrots can grow to six inches, with 8 inches being common and very occasionally up to 12.

Dyed jellybeans stay smaller as the dye also stunts growth although I currently have two ex-blue jellies which are a little over five inches.

Possibly part of the disagreement may arise from the uncertain parents of these fish. Most commonly jellybeans are BP/convict crosses, but BP/severum crosses are also often sold as jellybeans which are obviously going to get a lot bigger.

However, even if they did only ever reach 4 inches, 10 gallons is still not big enough

SirMinion said:
However, even if they did only ever reach 4 inches, 10 gallons is still not big enough
I agree.
And let's put it this way... they've got a better chance of growing to 6" or over than they do of staying at 4". Until very recently there was a breeding pair of jellies at my LFS, one 6" and one 5"... trust me, as aggressive as those little boogers were, there's no way they would have both been able to live in a 10 gallon together, even though they were a breeding pair. One would simply tear the other to shreds.

I have a convict which i think is a jelly bean, hes around 4 inches. It's strange, he hasnt grown even when he was in a 55 gallon, but maybe he is stunted. I'm breeding him with one of his old fry, first i bred him with a regular pink convict, now with one of the fry that he made. The origanol mom died durin a huge ick plauge. He's in a 36in tank, thats 12 inches wide, and around 16 inches high. He is very mean and when i go near the tank he tries to attack me. There is a little fry that i put in the tank for food, but forsome reason it just lives along with them. A little half inch fry living with a 4 incher and a 3 inch pair. It's kinda funny. 10 gallons is way too small for em anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back