Jelly Bean

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Clinton

Reaction score
Would a 10 gallon be big enough for a breeding pair of jelly beans? :huh:

Not even close.
10g isn't big enough for one jellybean parrot, let alone an attempt to breed them.
Jellybeans are a cross between three fairly large cichlids and can reach sizes of up to 12 inches, although 8 inches is more common.

Even using the very rough 'rule of thumb' of an inch per gallon (which is hogwash anyway) they would require 24g and that's still far too small too keep one adult fish in.

SirMinion said:
Not even close.
10g isn't big enough for one jellybean parrot, let alone an attempt to breed them.
Jellybeans are a cross between three fairly large cichlids and can reach sizes of up to 12 inches, although 8 inches is more common.

Even using the very rough 'rule of thumb' of an inch per gallon (which is hogwash anyway) they would require 24g and that's still far too small too keep one adult fish in.
what SirMinion said ;)

YOU GUYS ARE WRONG jesus, jellybeans are not what u think they are seriously

cichlid said:
Jellybean parrots are a hybrid cross of a blood parrot and a pink convict. These usually don't grow as large as a blood parrot so 6" is probably as big as jellybeans will get on average. Still, I'd go with no less than a 30 gallon (36" x 12" x 17") for a pair and I'd be prepared to upgrade if the jellybeans appear that they may grow past 6". :)

I would like to clarify that jellybeans here are the dyed blood parrots. I'd suggest first finding out just which type of 'jellybean' this is. If it's the convict mix, I agree with the 30 gallon 3 foot suggestion, if it's the blood parrot, a 55 would be absolute minimum, with the 75 a better option.

I would never subject any cichlid except shelldwellers to a 10 gallon tank.

8" is more common then 12" because they're usually housed improperly and never have a chance in the first place. Properly kept, any parrot hybrid will pass grow bigger then 8".

Right this is one of mine took a few months ago its lot bigger now is it

convict and blood parrot or

severum and blood parrot ..

pinkfish.jpg

its a very pale pink :nod:

Its frightened of nothing in the tank.I was giving it bloodworms in a net it jumped 4 inches out of the water and landed in the net to gobble the bloodworm up. :eek:

cichlid said:
There's not a lot of point in telling us we're wrong without qualifying the statement, and there's certainly no need to be rude.

So what do YOU think jellybean parrots are?

edit/ nevermind, I've seen your post in the other thread now. ;)

OK, done a quick google. Most say 6+ inches, but I found this...
Jelly Bean Parrots and BubbleGum Parrots
This type of Parrot is not a true Parrot Cichlid at all. What I have gathered is, Jelly Bean and Bubblegum Parrots are a cross between a male convict and a female blood parrot. They are then usually died bright colors like, green, blue, pink, red, purple, etc.

I found the following information on a message board somewhere and do not have the authors name. If you are the source of this information please e-mail me so that I can give you the proper credits.

The young fish is usually an albino variety which is chemically treated to strip the protective slime coat. They are then "painted" with dyes, and given another bath in a solution to stimulate the slime coat to grow back. Due to this torturous dying process, the fish have stunted growth, and rarely reach more than 3-4 inches. They also have a decreased life span due to the dyeing process. This also goes for other painted fish such as painted tetras.

There's been many cases of Jelly Beans and Bubblegums being able to mate and produce fry. This breeding is often mistaken for true Blood Parrot breeding, so don't be mislead by these reports.

So logically, if you're saying they are fine in a 10, this must be them.

I have seen jellybean parrots bred in ten gallons and done it myself...might i add stupidly because they were brother and sister. Long story but they've been seperated now. I had a good reason.

Anyway. IMHO a pair of jellybean parrots are very happy with ten gallons. ofcourse 20 would be preferable but I've seen multiple successful spawns in ten gallons of water. I have never seen a JBP grow beyond say 3.5 inches.

Just to add my 2 cents. JBP are infact two different kinds of fish. This has already been said but I'm going to say it again. one is a plain old blood parrot that has been dyed. The other is a blood parrot X pink convict cross. The JBP I am referring to above is the triple hybrid "true" jellybean parrot.

JB parrots are nothing more than short body pink convicts, they get to about 4"(5 at the very most )with females being a bit smaller(just like convicts).Saying that though, a 10gal is just a little tight for a pair.A 20 gal would be perfect.

I disagree with you about what jbp's are but we both know that and I can't prove you wrong so I'll just leave it at that.

Either way I meant to add that you need a 10 gallon (preferably a 20) to use as a grow out tank for the fry once the reach a reasonable size. a ten is not big enough for a pair and it's fry once the fry reach a certain size.

T is wrong im sure about this one!!!
heres proof!!!
all are say the same thing we all are!!!
female blood parrot + male pink convict = jellybean parrot

heres all the facts
by: Harpazo on: Wednesday 09 August @ 08:57:59

Jellybeans are a cross between a blood parrot and a convict. They are usually smaller than blood parrots. They are fertile compared to blood parrots which are usually sterile. Jellybeans are also a dyed fish so they come in candy-like colors. The dying of fish is very inhumane and tortuous so I wouldn't recommend buying a dyed fish.

[ Reply ]

also | (Score: 1)
by: strwbrrygem614 on: Tuesday 15 August @ 11:53:53

Also JB\\\'s natural color is white/pale pink and BP\\\'s natural color is red/orange/yellow... if the color seems to good to be true (like blue/green/purple) then it is, they are dyed...

[ Reply ]

RE:also | (Score: 1)
by: jellybeangal on: Tuesday 22 August @ 15:14:35

When I bought my two parrots they were labled as Jellybeans. I did my resurch also and because they were both orange or peachy color I decided that they were probubly not dyed. I feel that they were miss-labled because they have only gotten brighter in color, where dyed fish will usually fade with time. What I am saying is, don't assume that just because they are labled as jellybeans doesn't mean that they were harmed or are dyed.

[ Reply ]

jellybean | (Score: 1)
by: parrotcichliddude on: Sunday 05 November @ 18:32:38

i bought 2 jellybeans. they were black when i got them but now one is golden yellow and the other is black and orange

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back