Jbl External Filters...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nurglespuss

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,

I picked up the JBL (last year) e700, at the time I was very, very impressed for the price of the kit.

So how has it done?

Well, I've cleaned it out for the second time since purchasing it because of loss of flow. Unfortunately, it does seem to lose flow fairly quickly (compared to my usual Fluval externals), this is a negative point. However, its still picking up loads of stuff from the tank and doing a great job. Easy to clean out too, and still running silently, so all in all the e700 has only lost 1 point from my original rating for the loss of flow (so 7/10).

Now, a different kettle of fish, the e900...

I had this for january, on my birthday, I bought it full price from a shop. When I set it up, the flow was ridiculous! I had to runn it at only a quarter open valve for the same flow rate as the e700!

However, I've had to open the valve out more and more, to retain flow, until its now fully open. After its first cleanout today, its been set back up and... I'm not so impressed. There is a slight hum, that has taken all day to settle, and the flow rate, well, the valve is fully open, but where is the flow!? its possibly a little less that the e700 now...

Hmmmm....

I 'think' the problem is the piping, its semi transparent ans I can see material starting to gather along it, this 'may' be slowing the flow somewhat, but I'm unconvinced.

the e900 is currently at a 5 out of ten (and only because it retains the big capacity).

A bit dissapointing really,and a bit of an investment too.

Cont.

Hmmm I think th e900 I have may have problems, its making an erratic little 'joosh' noise and has a definate faint hum now....

I've checked it all over, the impeller/axle/holder is fine and clean, theres nothing clogging up the pump hosing, nothing blocking flow internally. But flow rate is a bout that of the e700 (maybe lower), I've leant it every which way to try and shift any trapped air, and have used the starter button to try and get things cleared through with no luck.

A quick question to fellow JBL e series filter owners, if you bought the e900, did it come with the rectangular rubber seal (like in the e700) mine did not and I wonder if that makes any difference at all?

Cheers for help! - I hope I'm having unusual problems and that they clear up, but getting a bit worried now...

the e900 should come with the rubber seal , i've found that since i;ve owned one they do give off a slight hum and they can take a few days to get all the trapped air out but the flow rate has always been spot on

Hmmmm darn mines missing the seal then, darn. Flowrate has not improved though. No return email yet from jbl

have you cleaned the pipes ?

No, I don't need to do that with my Fluvals (I've in fact, NEVER cleaned them, they've never needed it (being opaque).

If I have to do that every month with my JBL's thats going to be a nightmare...

But I don't think its the pipes at all now. The e700 has lost some flow but no where near as much as the e900. Either there's something wrong with it, or I don't know what. Its still making occassional odd noises. When I first set it up (in january remember) I couldn't have it on full flow because it was spilling water out the other side of the tank, now its mild flowing output, about the same as what my e700 has dropped to.

This really does not bode well.

it sounds as if you have a faulty one can you take it back to were you bought it from? or tried contacting jbl see what they say.

yup I've contacted JBL no answer yet, been a few days.

taking it back isn't really an option as the maidenhead I bought it from is nearly 5 hours away....

I've also contacted them but also recieved no response either.

I will take it back if I have no other choice!

taking it back isn't really an option as the maidenhead I bought it from is nearly 5 hours away....

you should be able to take it back to any maidenhead store, website is showing a few in south wales (unless they are the ones 5 hours away from you)

On a side note I've subscribed to PFK just to get the e700 based on your recommendation so if its pants I'll be blaming you :unsure:

The e700 is behaving again. It's just the e900 I must have a faulty one.

I'm in Aberystwyth but will try and get to one! Cheers!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back