Java

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Kamdavid

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This is sending out many roots I think. Iā€™ve never grown this. Should I separate all the new plants being produced and plant them ?

Are you referring to Java fern? If so I would just leave it to grow, it will look better in the end.

This is sending out many roots I think. Iā€™ve never grown this. Should I separate all the new plants being produced and plant them ?
@Byron helped me with my Java Fern. I know very little but do know that new plants can grow out of black spots on leaves or fronds
(?)Those can be planted elsewhere. Donā€™t laugh at me @Byron if I called the leaves the wrong thing.

You're correct, they are fronds because this plant is a true fern. The following excerpt from my profile should help.

Once established, Java Fern reproduces by adventitious plants at the tips of the fronds (leaves). The plantlets may be pulled away from the frond when they have a few fronds and roots; if left, the frond tip will eventually darken and the daughter plant will break away and drift until the roots are able to attach themselves to an object. The plant may also be propagated by cutting the rhizome (ensuring there are a few fronds and roots attached to each piece) and affixing it elsewhere.

I have several young ferns in a one gallon plastic tub. They are growing slow but are very green. As soon as they get bigger I plan on putting them into my sunken forest tank.

Last edited:
Just isnā€™t looking very good to me

Attachments

• 09E0FE44-A8B9-4AB7-8750-59BBF0B7CFFD.jpeg
    09E0FE44-A8B9-4AB7-8750-59BBF0B7CFFD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
Just isnā€™t looking very good to me

I agree. How long have you had this plant? What fertilizer(s) are you using if any? What is the light...it seems rather purplish in the photo.

I agree. How long have you had this plant? What fertilizer(s) are you using if any? What is the light...it seems rather purplish in the photo.
Iā€™m using the 24/7 planted plus. So itā€™s in sunrise mode right now.
Iā€™m using the thrive caps.
It has a lot of babies on the plant in the picture , so since today is water change Iā€™m going to separate them. I can tie the java to the driftwood with fishing line ?

Iā€™ve had it for a month now. The other pieces that were separated from it look very nice.

I just put the light to max. Hereā€™s the pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 56

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back