Java Rice fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LarsB

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I saw these little charmers at the shop, and decided I had to have them! Interesting nano fish, young and trying to spawn, but not colored up yet. I brought home 5 fish. Ended up with 3. a trio..... Darn things spawn every day.... literally!
Moved them out of my 29 and into a well aged 10 gallon. A few kuhli loaches and baby BN plecos lots of floating plants, rooted plants and spawning mops.
Plan is to leave them in there for several weeks, feeding many small frequent foods, still spawning daily. I figure after 3 or 4weeks I will move them to another plants tank and hope the fry hatching will grow out were their eggs were laid, in each smaller tank and then the trio can move back to the community tank for a while. Hope this works, because I want a nice group to show in the bigger tank together,
Does anyone have any experience in these fishes?

Are they Oryzias javanicus? I have the related Daisy's rice fish, Oryzias woworae. I find they spawn every day too - the females always have eggs hanging from their vents in the morning.
A few years ago I had a male betta that didn't take any notice of things in his tank. I moved some floating plants from the main tank into his tank, and a few days later had rice fish fry in the betta's tank. I only realised they were were there when I saw tiny blue things in the tank, Daisy's rice fish have blue eye rings. I kept them there till they grew big enough to go in the main tank (as I said, the betta ignored everything including these tiny fry). But I have never seen fry in the main tank, and I suspect it is the adult rice fish that eat them as I have seen them catching cherry shrimps.
You would have more chance breeding them if you move the spawning mops to a different tank on a regular basis.

The plants and the mops are so intertwined in that tank, I do not want to ruin the rooted plants at this time to move that part of it. I also have khuli loach that have bred in that tank, so ..... there is that too

Plus with the two tanks, and moving the parents and hope they leave me viable fry/eggs... then not all my EGGS are in "one basket"! LOL

And, yes,,, they are O. javanicus

Well, I believe I may have fry, but not quite what or where I expected!
The trio of BEJRF have been in their tank for 3 weeks Monday. They spawn just about every day, except the day after I have done water change. They are in a well planted 10 gal, (pic) with a few bn pleco about 2 months old. I have read it takes 1-3 wks for the eggs of the rice fish to hatch. A few days ago, I thought I saw a fry in that tank, but not spotting since, not sure what I saw or was it just HOPING??
Previously, the rice fish were in my 29 gal, with 2 spawns of bn plecos, various tetras, corys and khuli's... Moved them to the 10 and may have dispersed other plants and decor to other new tanks. 2 -20s and a 55.
The 55 is only bn plecos (2 m 3 f) breeding tank, spixi and ramshorn snails, plants decor etc. Nothing new has moved into these new tanks for a month or so.
This morning I noticed the newest brood of bn pleco was leaving the cave, excited to see an albino... tried to get a better look and it vanished.... looking closer in that huge tank, I see one, then two, very tiny silver swimming fry, much smaller than guppies (I have no live bearers).. My only conclusion is the plants I moved from the 29g supported some eggs from the blue eye Java rice fish... There is nothing in there that would predate these tiny fry , but I am concerned about them finding enough food.

Daddy normal fin BN pleco with brood (2nd pic)

Attachments

• 20200206_092457.jpg
    20200206_092457.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 20200203_195343 (2).jpg
    20200203_195343 (2).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 189
I have mentioned having the related Daisy's rice fish. My females carry eggs hanging from their vents until they get scraped off as they swim through plants. If yours spawn the same way, anything transferred from a tank they are in could have eggs on it.

The photo is the rice fish fry which hatched when I moved a plant into my betta's tank (the laid back betta which never tried to eat them). I've drawn a red circle round the fry so you can find them .

Rice fish fry.jpg

I only spotted the fry when I saw little bright blue things - their eye rings - moving in the water :)

This is a photo of a male and female Daisy's rice fish, Oryzias woworae, female in focus and male slightly out of focus. The photo doesn't show the colours well, but males are pale blue, a similar shade to dwarf rainbowfish, while females are yellow. Both have red markings on the tail, pectoral fins and underside.

Attachments

• Two ricefish.jpg
    Two ricefish.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 179
They grow to maybe 1.5 inches, and they are shoaling fish but they don't school. Males do display to each other, with the dominant male being darker blue than the other males, and they chase the females. Although rice fish of both sexes often have bits of tail missing, they keep it to their own species.

Seriously Fish has much better photos than mine https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/oryzias-woworae/

And these are LarsB's rice fish https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/oryzias-javanicus/

I would like to be able to raise enough to have a nice shoal of 20+ in 29g tank

You can barely see one, so blurry!

Attachments

• 20200207_065307 (2).jpg
    20200207_065307 (2).jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 176

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back