Java Moss & ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Welshweeks

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

Could somebody confirm that this is java moss? Not sure what the other leafy plant is? Both growing fine though! If I trim the JM? (like a haircut trim lol) can I just then secure this to some wood or some mesh and it will grow?

Thanks.

plantid_zps5621f1c5.jpg

It does look like java moss and yes you can give it a trim and attach it to other things in your tank.

The other large leafed plant looks like an anubis with a bad case of algea on its leaves.

Thanks Baccus. The anubis has been in there for about 8 months and new leaves appear regularly. I have some otto's in there that clean the leaves but not too good! Any suggestions?

With algea growth its usually down to two things light (too much) and or high nutrients.
You could try wiping the leaves to remove the excess algea, or you could put in some nutrient hungry plants (most stem plants like elodea) that will sop up the extra nutrient load thus starving the algea.Also try and move the anubis to a shaded area of the tank they are a low light plant as well as being slow growing hence why algea often attaches to it.
If it is an anubis it should also be on a piece of timber or rock, they have a rhiyzome that rots in substate.
If however it is a type of sword then leave it in the gravel, but I am 99% sure what you have is an anubis of some type.

No worries. If you dont ask you will never know
smile.png

Whatever you do don't stop dosing ferts if you use ferts. Having to much fert, n03,p04 in your water does not cause algae. There is only one thing that causes algae, and that's light. The rest of your tank looks really healthy, if your stop dosing ferts you will end up in more trouble. Healthy plants out compete algae at every chance. High nutrients do not cause cause algae. This is a myth.

The algae you have is a bit of gda, believe it or not this can be cured by dosing some p04 into the water. The holes and yellowing suggest to me that you lack some c02'in there as well. The only way to rid it properly is start dosing some co2 of some sort. Plants can show us what were missing in our tanks.

ian said:
There is only one thing that causes algae, and that's light.
And poor flow rates.

And low/fluctuating CO2 levels.

But apart from those, just light..... :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back