Java moss & vallisneria quarantine?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vlowman

Reaction score
I just took delivery of some java moss (on coconut) and vallisneria from AquaEssentials. Having only planted my tank once, before there were fish in it, I completely forgot about the concept of cleaning and quarantining plants too.

Outside of my main tank, what I have available is buckets, extra heaters, hydrogen peroxide, and one other small tank with no lights.

Could I ask for recommendations on the best way to proceed? Don't want to kill my new shrimp or have any snails.

I just rinse mine but...If the plants were treated with insecticide/pesticide they could kill the shrimp. Was this detailed by the seller? I think plants coming from Europe have to have this treatment now (post Brexit).

Thanks.

I’m gonna stick the Java moss in my smaller tank for a couple of days, but the vallisneria (which was small and easily inspected) has gone straight in - the seller is a well regarded store and advised that’d be fine.

Plants from Aqua Essentials will be fine without quarantine, Richard keeps his stock in tip top condition, no copper based medications used so no need to worry about that. No guarantee of no snails on aquatic plants but nowhere can guarantee this unless grown in lab conditions such as the Tropica pots you can buy.

Plants from Aqua Essentials will be fine without quarantine, Richard keeps his stock in tip top condition, no copper based medications used so no need to worry about that. No guarantee of no snails on aquatic plants but nowhere can guarantee this unless grown in lab conditions such as the Tropica pots you can buy.
Yeah, he told me not to worry too much, but I've stuck the moss in the back up tank for a couple of days - just in case...

Most reactions

Back