Java Moss Fertilizer

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

j mac

Reaction score
Hi
I have just ordered some java moss to tether to large piece of drift wood in my tank and I'm wondering whether I need to use a fertilizer on it?  My tank has been running for about 4 years and I've only had couple plants which I never used fertilizer on and they look okay.

Size tank 60 liter
3 penguin tetras
3 danios
4 ember tetras
5 neon tetras
shrimp
snails

If I do need it can anyone recommend a good one to use - I am in the UK.

Thanks

Hi, I found that java moss grows like a weed whether you use ferts or not. I have a clump in my fry tank tied to a large flat rock and it's growing like mad. I don't add any ferts to this tank 
I've had it in my main tank in the past too and the same applied. Hope that helps :)

Java Fern is more of a weed, but what makes it great is its ability to help hold food for shrimp, and other small fish species. As the Java just needs light to grow. Just be sure to turn it over every so often to all sides get the light as it doesnt move like regular aquatic plants.

On another note, if you can crack it open, tie a piece to a rock or a string, it will grow on that area, making a nice little piece of green "Grass" like texture to a rock or a tied down string.

Ferts arent needed, it can be used, but not exactly a good idea as the java can grow out of hand if to much or any could make it grow to where it can be abit of a nuisance 

Hi 
Thanks for replies just tied it onto piece of driftwood today and it looks great 
yes.gif

Won't bother with fertilizer then because from what you say it doesn't really need it.

Really appreciate the advice :)

no problem. Happy to help :)

np man, just post again if you need help with the java ferns 

I've been searching forums and haven't quite found an answer to my question and this thread is of similar topic.  I have a betta, mystery snail, ghost shrimp, anacharis, marimo moss, and amazon swords between my two tanks.  The LFS suggested I buy Aqueon's Aquarium Plant Food but I'm concerned it could harm my creatures.  I am new to planted tanks and am trying to decide if these ingredients are OK in trace amounts: K2O, Ca, Mg, S, B, Fe, Mn, Mo, Zn.  Any advice?

When it comes to snails and shrimp species, the most dangerous thing to be added is Copper. When you see this in the Indegrediants when you have snails/Shrimps DO NOT BUY IT. as it will kill them within a few hours. As i use Aqueons Plant food my snails and my amanos dont seem to get bothered by the plant food liquid put into the tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back