Java Moss, Christmas Moss, Other Moss

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

proton

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
HI Guys, Well I want to know when you tie moss down to either bog wood or slate, does the moss attach it self to the bog wood/slate? And does it keep on attaching itself to it? Or do I have to keep on tying it down and along the bog wood/slate?

Hi proton,

Take a look in the pinned threads, there is a step by step instructuion on how to attached java moss and riccia etc. It is my understanding that once you have done the original attachment of the moss you don't have to keep tieing it down.. just a bit of trimming maybe ;)

Squid

HI Guys, Well I want to know when you tie moss down to either bog wood or slate, does the moss attach it self to the bog wood/slate? And does it keep on attaching itself to it? Or do I have to keep on tying it down and along the bog wood/slate?

In my experience, Christmas and willow moss attach readily to bogwood, sometimes without tieing it down, especially if your wood has a lot of nooks and crannies. Simply wedge the moss to the wood and let it grow. Otherwise, I've used cotton thread and fishing line to attach moss and can usually remove the line in about a month once the moss attaches. Then you just mow the "lawn" with a pair of sharp scissors.

llj :)

Cool thanks, but what I mean is does it grow outwards as in "spread it's wings" to keep crawling along the bog wood/slate? Or do I have to tie more down as they grow?

Cool thanks, but what I mean is does it grow outwards as in "spread it's wings" to keep crawling along the bog wood/slate? Or do I have to tie more down as they grow?

Christmas moss tends to spread it's wings, as you put it, though you can train it by pruning to grow along the wood. Willow moss behaves a little better. I have entire pieces of wood that are covered in moss, so it does attach well. Once it attaches, you can prune it close to the wood to keep it contained.

llj

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back