Java Loach

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OohFeeshy

It's only forever; not long at all...
Reaction score
Common name: Java Loach, Black Khuli Loach

Scientific name: Pangio oblonga, previously pangio javanicus and Acanthophthalmus Javanicus

Family: Cobitidae

Maximum Size: 3-4"

Care: Almost identical to the normal Khuli, however I've found this loach far more friendly and outgoing than the normal khuli- they are out more often in daytime. They also appreciate hiding places and plants to root around in.

Feeding - Will accept most foods but be sure to provide a varied diet including frozen foods and live if possible. Also ensure some food reaches the bottom for them. Mine likes cucumber (see photo :wub:)

Sexing and Breeding - Not often accomplished in home tanks, only easily sexed when a female becomes egg bound.

khluiincuke.jpg

RE tank setup, this is the setup I've found benefits both the khulis and you. The tank has a sand bottom, so they can dig around (as they need to do), and half the tank has a layer of round pebbles. This gives them somewhere to hide, somewhere for food to fall into for them to search for, and if you have any fry (of theirs or other fish) it gives them hiding places too. The wood provides tannins for softer water, gives them something to hide under and anchorage for java moss, which extends onto the sand and gives cover, water quality aid, oxygen, looks good and food falls into it.
khulitankidea.jpg

That's the way I have one tank of kuhlis. I have half the tank filled with small smooth pieces of polished stone without any sharp edges and then the balance of the tank has a layer of about 1 1/2 inches of sand. Since I can't get regular sand here, I use the packaged sand which can be used in either salt or freshwater tanks.
kuhlitank.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back