Java fern

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Dane.w

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I went to my local fish store and got this Java fern attached to either big wood or rock (Iā€™m no expert) but when I put it in the tank it didnā€™t look as green and the leaves are brown, basically can someone tell me if this is normal or what

Attachments

• 7188311F-8D0A-418E-9548-D16E4EDF05B3.jpeg
    7188311F-8D0A-418E-9548-D16E4EDF05B3.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 70
  • E7CA3548-9CC2-4DF8-8F36-F49A519351F3.jpeg
    E7CA3548-9CC2-4DF8-8F36-F49A519351F3.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 69
Tbh it does look a bit "tired", for want of a better word. Many pet store plants are in poor condition (& overpriced), which is why I've completely switched to buying online. But that's beside the point. The fern in the photo is not 100% healthy, but I can see new shoots under the old leaves so that's certainly a good sign. If I were you I'd remove the worst affected/oldest/most damaged leaves and leave as many healthy/young ones as you can. Under the right conditions it will bounce back and get a nice lush green colour.
Note: Some browning, especially on the tips, is a normal sign of aging. Not a problem at all.

Tbh it does look a bit "tired", for want of a better word. Many pet store plants are in poor condition (& overpriced), which is why I've completely switched to buying online. But that's beside the point. The fern in the photo is not 100% healthy, but I can see new shoots under the old leaves so that's certainly a good sign. If I were you I'd remove the worst affected/oldest/most damaged leaves and leave as many healthy/young ones as you can. Under the right conditions it will bounce back and get a nice lush green colour.
Note: Some browning, especially on the tips, is a normal sign of aging. Not a problem at all.
Really good advice here :) I just wanted to add that the shop could have had the plant under a different colour spectrum that makes plants look more green too.

Wills

I find there's usually an adjustment period when you add your java fern to your tank. It may struggle and you just need to prune the brown leaves and let the healthy leaves grow in and once it's adjusted to your tank conditions it will bounce back. Just make sure you are adding a fertilizer like Aquarium Co Op's Easy Green. That helped my java ferns.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back