Java Fern With No Roots

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Spurry

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, i got some java fern from LFS when i got it home there was not many bit with rood, how do i get it on the the wood when there is nothing to tie it on with
how should do this, should i try and grow some roots by just dropping it in the tank

please help me it cost me £10...

Hi, i got some java fern from LFS when i got it home there was not many bit with rood, how do i get it on the the wood when there is nothing to tie it on with
how should do this, should i try and grow some roots by just dropping it in the tank

please help me it cost me £10...

The roots are important, but they are not totally essential. There is a method, in which you can pull the plantlets off of the leaves, and attach them to driftwood or rocks, and they can take hold and grow.

I hope a more experienced person can elaborate on what I am trying to explain, if this is not helpful.

Try and float it, I drowned my java fern's rhizome with super glue by accident, and the leaves started producing "spikes" roots. Little plantlets started growing off of the leaf tips.

You can try floating it and see if it will start to reproduce. The leaves get pretty ugly. But I wouldn't leave them in if it rots.

Hmm... the only time I've got java fern with no roots I ended up with each leaf sprouting a gazillion babies and then dying. You end up with a lot of ferns... but it takes ages. If you wanted a mature plant then I'd be a bit peeved and take it back. Which lfs?

Which lfs?
They was from QSS cazzie

I'm in Blackpool at the moment and called at 2 LFS to Blackpool
And both said just lash them on they will root

I've stripped them down now to ones with roots and ones with out
The with out are floating in the other tank
Will they root

They should like I said before, I just liked what cazzie said. I take stuff back all the time

Which lfs?
They was from QSS cazzie

I'm in Blackpool at the moment and called at 2 LFS to Blackpool
And both said just lash them on they will root

I've stripped them down now to ones with roots and ones with out
The with out are floating in the other tank
Will they root
Sounds awful but I won't buy plants from QSS :look: they're actually better quality at P@H in the centre.

If there is some rhizome at the base of the stem them glue them on and they might well start growing new leaves along the rhizome. If there's no rhizome at all then they won't - they'll just sprout babies and die. If you leave them floating they will eventually reward you with lots of plantlets that you can remove with your fingers and lash on to rock/wood as you please.

All you can do is give it a go and see what happens.

Right I'm home now
In total I found 3 aquatic stores Blackpool way and personally
I would have not bought any plants from them they all looked ruff

P@h well round Leeds way and it may just be me lacking in plant
Experience but they look half dead like that are all melting
I can kill them my self with out buying them half dead lol

Anyway cazzie here is a photo of what I have

54889503.jpg

Many thanks

here is a photo i took of the plants in pet city

f1ca0500.jpg

you would not want them in your tank there from what i can see covered in BBA and other stuff

i asked where i got the java from and he said just wedge it in it will root...

I go to my fish store on the day after they get shipments to buy plants. Any other day and the plants look like that. Maybe find out what say they get plant shipments and go then. Only I wouldn't buy fish that soon after shipments. :/

P@h well round Leeds way and it may just be me lacking in plant
Experience but they look half dead like that are all melting
I've never been in the Leeds one, I go in the Bradford one, it's usually alright, although obviously it's better if you go on a Tuesday or Wednesday after they've had their delivery.

Anyway cazzie here is a photo of what I have

54889503.jpg
yeah that just looks like a bunch of leaves have been snipped off a rhizome. They won't grow a rhizome from that - the leaves will almost definitely sprout babies though. What do you want? If you want a mature plant then take them back and either get one already attached to wood from P@H or get a rooted one from an online retailer. If you're happy to wait a few months then you can grow your own.

:crazy: yikes!

Ok the ones with no rhizome on I put in with the ones that had
Will I need to remove them so they don't rot
Or just leave them in and see if they sprout

Next time I will get ones on wood

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back