Java fern small brown offshoots. New plants or something more serious?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rdoran88

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a Java fern plant in my aquarium and recently I noticed a few of the leaves have started to sprout these small root like sprouts. (Photos for clearer reference)

upon researching online I have assumed the plant was producing new off shoots but these don't look quite like the images I have found online.

can anyone assist?

Attachments

• 14E38D6A-4FC0-468B-B31C-C96C0DA54F70.jpeg
    14E38D6A-4FC0-468B-B31C-C96C0DA54F70.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 164
  • C15E840F-0DD2-4A65-AB5D-BDD5D0179976.jpeg
    C15E840F-0DD2-4A65-AB5D-BDD5D0179976.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 116
  • F8DF8665-25B1-4B02-925E-B33FC49ECFF2.jpeg
    F8DF8665-25B1-4B02-925E-B33FC49ECFF2.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 222
They look like baby Java ferns to me. They are on the leaf undersides where the spores develop and grow. Just my opinion though, the plant looks healthy.

They look like baby Java ferns to me. They are on the leaf undersides where the spores develop and grow. Just my opinion though, the plant looks healthy.
Exactly correct, it's how JF reproduces.

Leave them until they get a bit older, and look like the adult plants in miniature form, and they can be plucked from the "mother" leaf and used in another part of the tank, tied or glued to something above the substrate...be sure to always keep the rhizome above the substrate.

They have babies!
Love or hate Java Fern, it's the easiest plant to grow, in practically ANY freshwater tank, with minimal effort, AND most times, will propagate easily, in the right conditions...which there's only 1, keep the rhizome above the substrate, lol

Actually....you just keep the stuff wet, and you'll have a forest of it in no time. It's not as proliferating as water wisteria, but, it does become a nice bush rather quickly.

I got it in all my tanks now, from a single plant I bought years ago....

Exactly correct, it's how JF reproduces.

Leave them until they get a bit older, and look like the adult plants in miniature form, and they can be plucked from the "mother" leaf and used in another part of the tank, tied or glued to something above the substrate...be sure to always keep the rhizome above the substrate.
Brilliant I just wanted a second opinion as I was doubting myself. There's hundreds sprouting so the plant must be doing well. Thanks again everyone.

My tanks are heavily root planted in sand along the back and sides with a variety of plants. Ive rocks, caves, ornaments, wood in middle all with Java fern attached.

I “replant” the Java fern babies on different pieces of bog wood, caves, rocks etc which I remove when gravel cleaning then replace in different positions to alter the fishes environment.
It doesn’t look as aquascape-tastic as youtube targeted tanks but is a helluva lot easier to clean.

Sort of a survival strategy as I notice that also aging ragged leaves seem to try hardest at viviparous reproduction.
Java plants are great and I bet few people really get them going great for plants called easy. Amano,made them like 80% of the plant life in his personal aquarium of a few thousand gallons. I respect :vote: the fern.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back