Java Fern Propogation

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

trash.binh91

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Weeks ago I noticed these long strings on the back of my fern. Thought it was some weird bug, so I decided not to check it out because "ew". But it was baby java fern! There's been a few more recently. How do I care for them?

Leave them until they are big enough to have a rhizome and they usually fall off the parent plant at this time. Then glue or tie them to some driftwood or rocks.

This excerpt from my profile of this plant species may help illustrate what Colin said.

Once established, Java Fern reproduces by adventitious plants at the tips of the fronds (leaves). The plantlets may be pulled away from the frond when they have a few fronds and roots; if left, the frond tip will eventually darken and the daughter plant will break away and drift until the roots are able to attach themselves to an object. The plant may also be propagated by cutting the rhizome (ensuring there are a few fronds and roots attached to each piece) and affixing it elsewhere.

This excerpt from my profile of this plant species may help illustrate what Colin said.

Once established, Java Fern reproduces by adventitious plants at the tips of the fronds (leaves). The plantlets may be pulled away from the frond when they have a few fronds and roots; if left, the frond tip will eventually darken and the daughter plant will break away and drift until the roots are able to attach themselves to an object. The plant may also be propagated by cutting the rhizome (ensuring there are a few fronds and roots attached to each piece) and affixing it elsewhere.
So I dont have to cut off the daughter plant? The roots are a few inches long on the big one, and I do see darkening frond tips, though that could well be rotting, but it's on the tip only.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back