Java Fern Plantlets

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Haveagojoe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ive got some I presume Java Fern plantlets growing of the ends of the adult plants leaves (there loads of spore like things under the leaves)they,ve got loads of what looks like brown ferny looking stuff which once again I presume is the developing root structure, so what do I do with them ?, do I do as I did with the adult plant and attach them to a rock or some wood and would I cut them from the adult first or leave them attached until they get a hold onto whatever I put them on.Thanks in anticipation.

hey Joe, if you rub your thumb and forefinger over them they should come off. They sound like little plantlets, you can attach them to whatever you like. Be prepared to chop the old leaf off though, the leaf tends to die after they have given off plantlets.

You can wait for them to get a little bigger so it's easier to attach to something if you're using string.

hey Joe, if you rub your thumb and forefinger over them they should come off. They sound like little plantlets, you can attach them to whatever you like. Be prepared to chop the old leaf off though, the leaf tends to die after they have given off plantlets.
Thxs m8 see you,ve changed your name and high flying birds is just Oasis under another banner, good though. :good:

I wait until mine come off with just a light pull, then plant them same as the full sized version. Not had any of the leaves dieing off after giving off plantlets.

Mine's got a plant growing there, complete with roots. When do you think it will come off?
2q99hdu.jpg

Also, can't wait for the old ones to get replaced. Most of them came with these weird black lines that look as if a cat scratched it, and the tip of that left leaf went black when it was in the plastic bag, don't know why.

That's about ready, just pull it gently it should come off with very little force.

I've tended to get browning in the leaves which grow plantlets, which has resulted in me removing them.

Mine did exactly that, browny black tips when I first introduced it to my aquarium

That's about ready, just pull it gently it should come off with very little force.

I've tended to get browning in the leaves which grow plantlets, which has resulted in me removing them.

Mine did exactly that, browny black tips when I first introduced it to my aquarium
That leaf isn't brown at all and surely doesn't come off easy at all. The whole leaf is green, as opposed to the black-tipped one on the left.
I see more plantlets forming on other leaves, they already have roots but no developed leaves yet.
And the rhizome has spawned about 6 new leaves within a month. It outgrew my Java Moss (which has stagnated).

I meant mine went brown/black on the tips that produced plantlets, generally this isn't what should happen, I think it was lack of ferts when my first got going which had produced defects in the old leaves. Anyway that's another subject.
The idea is that in the wild the current pulls off the plantlets and they go downstream and grow somewhere else, so if it doesn't come off easily it's probably not ready. Wait until they have leaves and a good root structure. I've detached several at an early stage than your photo which came off easily (probably due to the defects I explained earlier) that have then grown and become established themselves, so you won't be doing any harm pulling it off, but if you want to wait its not going to hurt, it'll continue to take nourishment from the mother plant and probably grow more quickly.

I meant mine went brown/black on the tips that produced plantlets, generally this isn't what should happen, I think it was lack of ferts when my first got going which had produced defects in the old leaves. Anyway that's another subject.
The idea is that in the wild the current pulls off the plantlets and they go downstream and grow somewhere else, so if it doesn't come off easily it's probably not ready. Wait until they have leaves and a good root structure. I've detached several at an early stage than your photo which came off easily (probably due to the defects I explained earlier) that have then grown and become established themselves, so you won't be doing any harm pulling it off, but if you want to wait its not going to hurt, it'll continue to take nourishment from the mother plant and probably grow more quickly.
I'm not using any ferts at all, just leaving the plant to feed off of debris.
The new leaves look good, although a lighter color than the originals.
I will leave it there on the leaf, it looks cool anyway, kind of like an octopus growing out of it. X)) I'll probably put the new plant between the other two rocks on my right side of the tank when it comes off.

Yeah, mines heavily planted though with very few fish and I have overpowering lights with nothing to supplement it CO2 or ferts wise it all went very wrong very quickly until I worked out what I was meant to be doing... Long story.

Yeah, mines heavily planted though with very few fish and I have overpowering lights with nothing to supplement it CO2 or ferts wise it all went very wrong very quickly until I worked out what I was meant to be doing... Long story.
I only have an 18W light bulb. Pretty low light but at least no algae forms, as the lights are on for quite a long time... And off for around 6-7 hours. o_O

Still, the Java Moss, which is supposed to be a fast growing plant that should grab hold of the bogwood, has stopped growing and just sits there doing nothing. It didn't grab the bogwood yet.
Willow Moss, which is supposed to hate warm water, is spreading all over the place and grew some kind of whips of lighter color.
The Ceratopteris remained as tiny floating plants at the surface. They used to grow a lot during May and April. Stopped growing lately.
Java Fern: Went crazy. It pops a ton of new leaves that grow very fast, it takes less than a week to get a mid-sized leaf.

Trim the java moss it'll stimulate growth. Mine without strong light, ferts or co2 grew massive quickly.
Give it a trim, use the siphon to suck up the off cuts and that should stimulate some growth.

Trim the java moss it'll stimulate growth. Mine without strong light, ferts or co2 grew massive quickly.
Give it a trim, use the siphon to suck up the off cuts and that should stimulate some growth.
Hmm, yeah I should trim that old part behind it, when I got it out of the basket, it had a side with gray leaves (possibly dead?) and I put that side into the log and left the green side at the top. It made a few green threads and then stopped and turned dark green.

My siphon fails. It is just a tube and no matter how many times I try, it stops sucking. And I'm not going to suck on a plastic cable... X_X Still waiting on dad to make a pump so that I don't have to net stuff out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back