Java Fern ? Just Bought

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

shadow1200

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive just bought java fern and just recived it.
The seller is telling me to tie the roots down onto bog wood and tie the leaves down ? is this right ?
Do i tie the whole lot down so the leaves can't move ? or do i just tie the roots down and let the leaves be ?
Thanks

Just the roots.
Thanks the seller said the leaves 2 but will just tie down the roots because ive had java moss from him be for this and never grew
Thanks again.

P.s how fast does this java fern ment to attach it self ?
I heard the leafsfall off then were the leafs land new roots start to come.
I don't know if that's true ?

Actually it is not the roots that you should "tie down" it is the rhizome. This is the thing that the roots come down from and the leaves grow up from. The roots will then grip onto the wood, rock and/or into the substrate. The roots are fine in substrate however the rhizome should never be buried.

It depends on your tank conditions how fast it will root itself as like any growth, it is dependant on available nutrients etc. Java fern however is pretty undemanding as far as ferts go, it will just grow a bit slower. They aren't renowned for being the quickest growing plants at the best of times though.
The leaves it has just now may go brown and fall off as it acclimatises to the new water conditions, however the rhizome, the stem like part that the roots and leaves come off of should not change. It will send out new leaves to replace lost ones, and also the old leaves may produce plantlets on their tips as they die off. These plantlets can be gently pulled off once they are an inch long or so, by which time they will have their own little brown roots, and can then be attached to the piece of wood to multiply the plant.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back