What's new

Java Fern Issues

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My java ferns are deteriorating. They have plenty of CO2, ferts, and light. What am I doing wrong?

My only guess is that they are in too much direct strong light or I am overdosing.

Any chance of a picture of the plants and tank?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

---------------------------
Java Fern does not need supplemental carbon dioxide (CO2) and neither do any plants in an aquarium unless the tank is very heavily stocked with plants. There is ample CO2 in the water from the fish and filter bacteria, as well as in the air we breath and that gets into the tank water.

Too much CO2 can drop the pH unless there is lots of carbonate hardness (KH) to buffer the pH and stop it dropping. In my experience, Java Fern doesn't do that well in really acid water.
Check your KH and make sure the pH isn't dropping.

---------------------------
Too much light does not harm plants. Heat from direct sunlight in summer can harm plants if they get too hot, but the water temperature has to go above 32C, and then all the plants and fish will suffer.

Are the Java fern rhizomes planted in the substrate?
The rhizomes are the thick root like structures that the leaves are attached to. The roots are the thin hair like structures. The roots are OK in the substrate but the rhizomes will rot if under the substrate. Java ferns are usually grown attached to decor for this reason.

I have the same problem with my Java Fern, it is attached to a piece of lava rock, via fishing line, and it is in direct light. It doesn’t look like it is growing. I know Java Fern itself takes forever to grow, but I think there is something wrong with mine. :)

Here is my “Lacy” Java Fern....

As you can see, it it looks brown, and has some weird “hair” green algae on it. :)
image.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back