Java Fern Growing Off Java Fern?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hollyp0p

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've had this java fern a good few weeks now, probably over a month, and it's got what I think are mini javas growing off the top of its leaves.....are they ok and best left, or can I remove them somehow and plant them seperately?
I have bogwood on my tank, maybe I can plant them there?

Here are the pics....

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

Ah that's cool, actually I don't mind it breeding, I might not wait for all to fall off, but another couple of these little gems would be nice :)
when taking them off do you just cut them off? or can you pull them??

There is a thought that this plant tends to grow plantlets when it is suffering.

George trims the affected leaves off to stop it from 'stealing' nutrients from the mother plant.

I have recently started to do the same and I think George is right as the plant is now growing a stunning lush green.

(plus as you can see the trailing roots are an algae magnet)

Andy

So can I try planting the plantlets anywhere, as they are currently the lush green you speak of.....so maybe I can save some, and the mother plant?! :huh:

IME the leaves that are producing the plantlets will just go bad and not be worth saving.

I tend to discard the whole leaf now as soon as I see it happening (which hasn't happened for a while now which tells me something)

You can try saving them if you want but I would just discard on sight to save the remainder of the mother plant.

andy

okely dokely!
so no chance of plantlets surviving afterwards?
Guess java ferns aren't hard to get a hold of :)

[/quote]
tie them to the bogwood with a bit of cotton
[/quote]

Thanks!!!

My pitbull plec is gonna love that....even more plants to chomp algae from :)

I think you'll find that pitbulls only eat algae as a last resort.

The good thing though is that seing as bogwood is there favourite chomp that they always keep the bogwood clear of algae.

They wont touch much algae that isn't above the substrate but they will give you nice clean bogwood.

Andy

I think you'll find that pitbulls only eat algae as a last resort.

The good thing though is that seing as bogwood is there favourite chomp that they always keep the bogwood clear of algae.

They wont touch much algae that isn't above the substrate but they will give you nice clean bogwood.

Andy

he quite likes the walls of the tank, and the wall round the filter unit too....but yes the bogwood is definately his favourite!

Just as a comment, this form of propogation is quite frequent in aquatic plants..

As for the connection with the plant suffering/producing plantlets.. well..

A: If the plant is suffering, it would be difficult to divert enough nutrients to making 'more' plant material (in the form of plantlets).

B: If the leaf does go bad and 'drop off' (senesce) then this may be a valid survival method, as, at least in flowing water the leaft would carry younger plantlets to new locations...

Interesting stuff....

I do wonder though, as the plant continues to produce them, and they are removed, yet the plant looks healthy, it is more likely a simple method of spreading rather than the plant suffering.

Cheers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back