Java Fern Growing Hair ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shadow1200

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have tryied growing java fern and java moss in 1 of my tanks and can;t get it to grow. The seller sent me java moss and wouldnt grow at all so sent me java fern. I attached it to wood but would not attach so i bought a bot and planted it like a plant in a pot.
Its been in there for 6 months now and has not grown.
But all of a sudden there is brown hairs cumming off the leaves.
Any one know why or what the plant is doing ?
Other plants in the tank grow well and really fine i bought 1 plant and its grown so fast i had to cut it and plant the stems into other pots now have loads of plants :)
Any 1 know why i have hairy java fern :shout:

It's the plant reproducing, leaves have nodes on them (dots on the underside) and they will turn dark when the plant is about to reproduce, and then individual plants will grow from each node, the plant will then fall off eventually and the parent leaf will die.

It's the plant reproducing, leaves have nodes on them (dots on the underside) and they will turn dark when the plant is about to reproduce, and then individual plants will grow from each node, the plant will then fall off eventually and the parent leaf will die.
So when it drops the nodes how many more plants would you get from the one ?
i so wish i kept my java moss now -_-
so they will drop to the bottom of the tank ? how will they grow then ?
i have sand by the way

The nodes remain on the parent leaf, the new plant will drop once it is about 3-4 inches tall, each leaf can produce about 20 new plants, you can pull them off and discard the parent leaf if you wish (It will die anyway), then tie them to some wood or rocks.

So when it falls off if you don't tie it to something it will die ? The nodes

not necessarily, it will just look a bit strange, it will probably attach itself to something anyway.

Thanks how long does java moss take to grow ? because i has have moss but when all brown and started to smell( of dog poo )
I have 2 filters 1 internal and 1 external so i know it wasn't the water smelling i toke the java moss out and it stunk and wasn't attaching to the bog wood...
I left it in for 2 months would that be long enough ?

Java Moss wont necessarily attach, some of it will, but most of it died, light determines the rate at which it will grow, but it is a slow grower, if it was going brown it was probably nutrient deficient, or light deficient.

Java Moss wont necessarily attach, some of it will, but most of it died, light determines the rate at which it will grow, but it is a slow grower, if it was going brown it was probably nutrient deficient, or light deficient.
Is it best to do the wall way or attach to rocks and wood ?
Ive seen some users on here put it to the glass but don;t understand how it attaches to glass ?

It doesn't, they put it on mesh and then fix it to the glass with suckers, tying it to wood, rocks or mesh is generally best.

Thanks think ill buy some more moss and see if it will grow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back