Java fern deficiency?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

yeti79

Reaction score
I use easy green fertilizer once a week and have good growth with my java ferns. The leaves eventually get brown spots then yellow and die even with the new growth after the initial submersion die off. Here are a couple pictures for reference. New to live plants and would appreciate the advice of more experienced plant growers.
photo0_09.jpg photo1_03.jpg

My plants are all easy to grow and low light varieties. Hornwort, Java Moss, Java Fern and Frogbit. I don't fertilize at all and my plants are doing very well. I be sure to do my aquarium maintenance on a proper schedule, not over feed the fish and my lighting is adequate without going overboard with specialty plant lights. The Hornwort is doing so well that I will have to thin it pretty soon. Thanks to a lighting suggestion of @PheonixKingZ my plants kicked into high gear.

I am also new to plants and have several Java Ferns, it is very important to have the rhizomes above the substrate like Byron asked. I use metal ties to keep my ferns in place until they attach themselves to something. I also changed my lighting to a more plant friendly light. Good luck with your ferns.

My plants are all easy to grow and low light varieties. Hornwort, Java Moss, Java Fern and Frogbit. I don't fertilize at all and my plants are doing very well. I be sure to do my aquarium maintenance on a proper schedule, not over feed the fish and my lighting is adequate without going overboard with specialty plant lights. The Hornwort is doing so well that I will have to thin it pretty soon. Thanks to a lighting suggestion of @PheonixKingZ my plants kicked into high gear.
Good! ;)

My Java Fern is growing very well, it’s about 4 inches tall now, crazy. :)

I use easy green fertilizer once a week and have good growth with my java ferns. The leaves eventually get brown spots then yellow and die even with the new growth after the initial submersion die off. Here are a couple pictures for reference. New to live plants and would appreciate the advice of more experienced plant growers.
View attachment 95269 View attachment 95270
Is your Java Fern buried in the substrate? If so, that might be your problem. Try tying the java Fern (Or supergluing) To a pice of lava rock.

Also, how many hours a day do you leave your light on for? (I have found that having my lights on for 14 hours a day is perfect.)

I will post a picture of my java Fern soon. ;)

01D9CA73-D88F-45C9-BA11-94ED8C87AF58.jpeg

Baby Java Fern (This was how big mine was when I got it.)
68C3EBDD-5B6D-47A5-B1AF-633498797DD8.jpeg

If this link is the liquid fertilizer you are using, it would seem adequate from the ingredients listed.
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/easy-green-all-in-one-fertilizer

What is the aquarium light? And how long is it on daily?

Are the rhizomes of the Java Ferns above the substrate?

The rhizomes are above the substrate, attached to rocks or decoration with super glue gel. Tetra Hidden Brilliant White LED Aquarium 6 Inch Stick and i have it on 12 hours a day.

The rhizomes are above the substrate, attached to rocks or decoration with super glue gel. Tetra Hidden Brilliant White LED Aquarium 6 Inch Stick and i have it on 12 hours a day.
Hmm..weird. According to your information, your Java Fern should be growing. Do you have any snails, or known pesticides in your tank?

Light may be too intense for Java Fern; it is a shade plant. Floating plants can help with this. Light duration of 12 hours is a lot, my tanks are on for 7 hours.

The above are general comments but could be part of the issue. Something else hit me, the iron (Fe) in the linked plant fertilizer is given as 0.00% on the website, can you check the label to see if this is correct? Lack of iron can cause yellowing leaves, but so can many other things, but something is not right here; I don't know why they would list iron if none is present.

Light may be too intense for Java Fern; it is a shade plant. Floating plants can help with this. Light duration of 12 hours is a lot, my tanks are on for 7 hours.

The above are general comments but could be part of the issue. Something else hit me, the iron (Fe) in the linked plant fertilizer is given as 0.00% on the website, can you check the label to see if this is correct? Lack of iron can cause yellowing leaves, but so can many other things, but something is not right here; I don't know why they would list iron if none is present.

My bottle list Iron content at 0.13% I will try cutting back on my lighting hours to see if that makes a difference.

No snails or known pesticides.

Forgot to mention the growth in the picture is after the initial melt off. I am getting good growth just losing maybe 1/3 of it to the yellowing. Sometimes very shortly after the growth starts others the leaf is more fully developed.

My bottle list Iron content at 0.13% I will try cutting back on my lighting hours to see if that makes a difference.

Forgot to mention the growth in the picture is after the initial melt off. I am getting good growth just losing maybe 1/3 of it to the yellowing. Sometimes very shortly after the growth starts others the leaf is more fully developed.

OK re the iron, I thought this was likely a mistake on the website.

Light change should help. Keep in mind that it takes time for such changes to "kick in," so don't expect a miraculous cure in a day or two, lol.

Most reactions

trending

Back