Java Fern Attachment Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

waterdrop

Enthusiastic "Re-Beginner"
Reaction score
I've just been given a big bunch of Java Fern (nice for my son's beginner situation) and I floated this huge bunch of plants in the tank for now. I assume it will be ok like this at least for a while, but it got me wondering, does it matter to these plants whether they attach to something like bogwood or rock, or is this really just aesthetics? Would they do as well floating as attached?

~~waterdrop~~

I've just been given a big bunch of Java Fern (nice for my son's beginner situation) and I floated this huge bunch of plants in the tank for now. I assume it will be ok like this at least for a while, but it got me wondering, does it matter to these plants whether they attach to something like bogwood or rock, or is this really just aesthetics? Would they do as well floating as attached?

~~waterdrop~~

i have 3 java fern plants in my tank, i have two of them just planted in the sand, near to bogwood and rocks, there roots have started to attach themselves to the adjacent wood etc.....however i also attached one to a piece of bogwood and it too is growing fine....it is a very hardy plant and is not fussy about light etc.....will grow on bogwood, rough stone..and also just in subsrtate.....

not sure about floating question, but its not a floating plant should be ok for a few days but wouldnt advise keeping it floating...

When any plant is left floating (except for floating plants lol) they always grow to the strongest light source, so the leaves/ stems always grow all over rather than in a straight line.

plants that require attaching like anubias, ferns etc always tend to do better once their roots have attached themselves properly. Even when you have attached them until they physically attach you will get some dead leaves etc and then all of a sudden once attached they will take off. For this reason I would assume if left floating they would always be in the 'not so god, dead leaves etc' state.

AC

OK, thanks, value your experiences. This tank is transitioning away from a previous decoration and does not have rocks or wood to serve as attachment anchors yet, so I'll have to go with roots in the flourite we've got.

So ideally the bottom of the rhizome should just touch the substrate with the buried roots holding the plant down? Or should the whole rhizome actually float a tiny bit above the substrate?

~~waterdrop~~

Get a few pebbles from the garden, boil them to kill off anything bad and attach the rhizome to them

AC

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back