jaguar cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

icefins

Reaction score
i have always wonted to get one but books i have read very in info some say they are mean and other say they are super mean i have had just about every cicklide so i was just wonder could they be compared to the big beast oscars or its more like a jack or is like a red devil witch i can see ti being that dam mean
so some info would be handy

do you plan on housing the jag alone?in what size tank?once that jag reaches 7 to 8"mark they can be really nasty imo a 125g or bigger is what you'll need before even considering getting one of these.
have you seen the size of an adult jags teeth? :crazy: wow

:angry: Jags are mean sob's. I had 6 youngsters which grew into 1 mated pair(rest killed by the male). They were fine with each other and bred a few times but I woulndn't put anything else in with them :S I think they are the mutts nuts, beautiful colours and so changeable, showing greens, blues and gold depending on the mood. They were also excellent parents and had as much character as any oscar. Keep them if you've plenty room but you might have a struggle with company. :thumbs: Mac.

a 55 for a pair of juvies would be okay for a while. would reccommend getting some target fish to help to calm down the aggression on the others. though i find if raised together they are sometimes not as aggressive towards their juvie tankmates. about the same level of aggression as the trimac and the managuense.

maggie

juvies are alot less aggressive,and imo a 55 will not work for an adult and anything else.

I got two once, one at 2" and the other at 5"-6". The 2" one was fine and was always trying to be matey with my Firemouth's and stuff but the bigger one was a complete menace, constantly giving the others a hard time. It calmed down once it and the smaller one paired off (only because they were to buisy digging a pit) but when i added 4 Nic's (1"-1.5") they instantly tried to eat them so they had to go.

Thx, Mac. Also listed as Herichthys & Nandopsis, thought the latter one was most recent. (?)

Too many names. :S

Saw a pair @ lfs today - male must've been 15", female approx 12". AWESOME FISH! Male was really gentle with his mate, kept mouthing her and nudgeing her but not aggressively. Wonderful... :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back