Jack Dempseys mating or not

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tracy83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had these 2 about 9 month , they mostly swim around together like this ,, they occasionally mouth brood ,, the male slaps the female in the face and shudders next to her ,, but have had no fry ,, are they mating or just good friends lol
20210320_154524.jpg
20210320_154521.jpg
20210320_154538.jpg

I would say you have a male and female no doubt , paired only you would know .for you to assume they have paired I’d guess at they have , no eggs or fry tho is strange as they look fully mature , what are there tank mates ? Also poor water quality could stop them from breeding, what are your current parameters?

I've run out of water tests ,, I have a seachem ammonia tester ,, which is showing fine ,, there is an angel fish , 2 giant danios and a plec ,, I do hoover the gravel and clean tank every week ,, do u think I could be hoovering them away ,, am I cleaning tank to often ,, she changes color alot from very pale to almost black ,, really annoying ,, was hoping for fry a few month back ,, ready to give up hope ,, I reckon they are defo a couple ,, he does chase her round now and again ,, nothing major although she does make a racket bumping into things and jumping in and out of water when it starts lol

I've run out of water tests ,, I have a seachem ammonia tester ,, which is showing fine ,, there is an angel fish , 2 giant danios and a plec ,, I do hoover the gravel and clean tank every week ,, do u think I could be hoovering them away ,, am I cleaning tank to often ,, she changes color alot from very pale to almost black ,, really annoying ,, was hoping for fry a few month back ,, ready to give up hope ,, I reckon they are defo a couple ,, he does chase her round now and again ,, nothing major although she does make a racket bumping into things and jumping in and out of water when it starts lol
I don’t think you would be cleaning the eggs away you would notice the eggs they would lay all 100+ in one area and heavily gaurd them , the colour change of the female does indicate breeding behaviour and no doubt they are the dominant pair in the tank , maybe just give them time they maybe leading up to it , flat rocks and such will give them areas to my eggs

I don’t think you would be cleaning the eggs away you would notice the eggs they would lay all 100+ in one area and heavily gaurd them , the colour change of the female does indicate breeding behaviour and no doubt they are the dominant pair in the tank , maybe just give them time they maybe leading up to it , flat rocks and such will give them areas to my eggs
I have 2 pot plantpots ,, some shells and a star fish shaped rock,, happy to hear I'm most likely not cleaning them away , can I just find a nice rock ,, cleaning up , boil it and pop it in or should I buy special rocks ,, I really want them to have fry ,, they defo are the dominant ones in the tank ,, but the angel does swim round with them sometimes ,, even sleeps in the middle of them , which is surprising,, I rescued her and was gonna put her in her own tank , but she seems to be fine with these 2 ?

I have 2 pot plantpots ,, some shells and a star fish shaped rock,, happy to hear I'm most likely not cleaning them away , can I just find a nice rock ,, cleaning up , boil it and pop it in or should I buy special rocks ,, I really want them to have fry ,, they defo are the dominant ones in the tank ,, but the angel does swim round with them sometimes ,, even sleeps in the middle of them , which is surprising,, I rescued her and was gonna put her in her own tank , but she seems to be fine with these 2 ?
Yeah any Rocks can be added boiling them wil make them safe , once they have laid they will continue to do so , honestly when it happens you will know , keep us posted if they lay eggs we will all be curious to see how it turns out

Still no babys ,, but I did find babys floating round my goldfish tank ?‍♀️ had them 8 year never seen a baby ,, so obvs I had to rescue some ,, they are 4 week old now and doing fab ?

Still no babys ,, but I did find babys floating round my goldfish tank ?‍♀️ had them 8 year never seen a baby ,, so obvs I had to rescue some ,, they are 4 week old now and doing fab ?
Great feeders for the jds :rofl:

Ok so alot of this but still no babys.

Attachments

• 20210520_094204.jpg
    20210520_094204.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210520_094218.jpg
    20210520_094218.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210520_094224.jpg
    20210520_094224.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210520_094229.jpg
    20210520_094229.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210520_094250.jpg
    20210520_094250.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 50
They’re two males fighting. I’d remove one and add a female if you want to breed them.
Females have a lot of blue on the bottom of the cheeks, males don’t have any.

Your right 2 males ffs ,, the smaller 1 really damaged the other one yesterday ,, have them separated at mo ,, is there any chance they will ever get on ,, I like both of them 😪😪,, see pics ,, only thing I had to hand to seperate them .

Attachments

• 16234317239122321187449258988919.jpg
    16234317239122321187449258988919.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 47
No chance at all (see other thread).

Most reactions

Back