Jack Dempsey Gender Identifying And Fish Species Identifying

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Drumtam555

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been curious ever since I bought my Jack Dempsey as to which gender it maybe. I have a feeling that it maybe a Male, but I am never certain, I have read many pages on the internet and by all the ways I can identify it's gender, it seems to be a mixed gender (which is not true). Please help! :D photo.JPG

Josh

Definately male. Females will tend to have blue splotches on their faces rather that spots. Also, the body is more colorful than that of a female. Beautiful boy.

Definately male. Females will tend to have blue splotches on their faces rather that spots. Also, the body is more colorful than that of a female. Beautiful boy.

Ahh thank you so much! So happy that he's a male, I would be grateful to have a female, but I'm sure you'd agree, having a male would be more interesting to look at! :D

Ahh thank you so much! So happy that he's a male, I would be grateful to have a female, but I'm sure you'd agree, having a male would be more interesting to look at! :D
Lol, well, I have a breeding pair so I have the best of both world. The male is more interesting to look at, especially when his fighting colors are on (God forbid I touch the glass or clean the tank while he is fathering a spawn, and hit bites hurt!) The female though, seems to have more personality and when her breeding colors are in play, she turns almost black.

Male Jack with his colors up (notice the spotting on his face and gill plate)
DSCN4782.jpg

Female Jack, not displaying. You can see how her face and gill plate is splotchy rather than spotted. You can also see how her body doesnt shimmer nearly as much as his does.
DSCN4604.jpg

Female Jack (breeding colors which make the blue splotches on her face almost dissapear)
DSCN4482.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back