Jack Dempsey cichlid question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishRFriends77

Reaction score
So recently about a month ago, I bought a Jack Dempsey from Petco, they told me they had him since Dec, so thats about 8-9 months and he was being kept in a tank with Buenos Aires tetra, he is still only an 1.5 or 2 inches at most but still healthy and actively swimming and eating from what I can tell. Is it possible his growth is still stunted or should I give him time, currently in my 180 gallon tank.

If it hasnā€™t grown in the month youā€™ve had it, Iā€™d say itā€™s stunted.

I would expect it to grow normally now it is in your large tank.
Well that I'm glad to hear, also beforre when I got him he was pale calored like the tetras, in my new tank he is often dark almost black is this normal behavior for Jacks to change color is a new tank or is he stressed? Water parameters are perfect as possible with nitrates only at .20 ppm and he doesn't get bullied by my sevs or oscar, although they are larger then him( 2 Sevs are 4-4.5inches and oscar is 3-3.5inchs) they never bug him.

Well that I'm glad to hear, also beforre when I got him he was pale calored like the tetras, in my new tank he is often dark almost black is this normal behavior for Jacks to change color is a new tank or is he stressed? Water parameters are perfect as possible with nitrates only at .20 ppm and he doesn't get bullied by my sevs or oscar, although they are larger then him( 2 Sevs are 4-4.5inches and oscar is 3-3.5inchs) they never bug him.
Just be careful of the other fish. He may now be black because he is trying to turn him self into a rock. Give him lots and lots of of hiding places caves and big rocks to hide behind. Even though the other fish are not after him, he may see them as a big threat.

Just be careful of the other fish. He may now be black because he is trying to turn him self into a rock. Give him lots and lots of of hiding places caves and big rocks to hide behind. Even though the other fish are not after him, he may see them as a big threat.
Okay I'll keep an eye on them, plenty of hiding spaces for him in the tank as of now

Stunting shouldnā€™t affect its life much. It would be easier to tell with a picture.
JDs go light and dark to match the substrate, and they also go dark from stress.

Stunting shouldnā€™t affect its life much. It would be easier to tell with a picture.
JDs go light and dark to match the substrate, and they also go dark from stress.
I got pictures for everyone to take a look at , I snapped a bunch after I woke up and turned the lights on to feed them bf.

20210929_045652.jpg

Attachments

• 20210929_050404.jpg
    20210929_050404.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210929_050412.jpg
    20210929_050412.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210929_050657.jpg
    20210929_050657.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 22

Most reactions