Izzy has spots

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Finn1231

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Izzy has been getting some dark spots. I noticed 3 brown spots on her belly and some scales on top of her head are dark, like a brownish instead of their usual shimmer. I feel terrible, because i know ive been neglecting my fish in lieu of my current health problems. Ive missed at least two weeks of school because of de habilitating migraines. None of my doctors are around and everyone is dying to see a psychiatrist after covid. Anyway, izzys color has simply been off for a little while. She has seemed pretty fine and energetic though. I got a new aquarium light that I usually leave on the blue setting for her. My other betta, obby (used to belong to my sister), also has some fuzz on his fins and a white spot above his eye. He is in a 2.5 gallon but will be getting my goldfish’s old tank soon. His heater is also not working because of course i cant find an outlet. Im going to try to get some medicine for him but being in and out of doctors offices/hospital, doing homework, and basically staying alive is literally keeping me from most things. What medicine do you recommend? I will add the best pictures i could take. I know the white fuzz on his tail in not very visible, but it is there.

Attachments

• 1E5DAAF5-3113-4FF9-9EF9-1F604F9FB6F8.jpeg
    1E5DAAF5-3113-4FF9-9EF9-1F604F9FB6F8.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 464133D4-8833-4558-9351-D5A61AAF52E5.jpeg
    464133D4-8833-4558-9351-D5A61AAF52E5.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 6E494503-D28A-4ECD-B52C-C11038D56007.jpeg
    6E494503-D28A-4ECD-B52C-C11038D56007.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 38
I can't see much on the pictures. If in doubt, do a big water change and add some salt.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using salt or medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

----------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

I've missed at least two weeks of school because of de habilitating migraines.
As for your headaches, these are usually caused by dehydration or stress. They can sometimes be caused by too much caffeine or chocolate, or suddenly removing these items from your diet.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and other non caffeinated drinks and no booze (alcohol), which I doubt you drink because you are at school. :) You need at least 2 litres per day and most people need 2.5 to 3 litres per day.

Stress can cause the muscles in your shoulders and neck to tense up and this can put pressure on the nerves in your neck. This can cause bad headaches, which are made worse by the stress from having the headache. Having a shoulder massage can sometimes help, as can listening to relaxing music or doing things that are pleasant, quiet and enjoyable.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep and try to have a good posture when sleeping, sitting or standing.

Hopefully you feel better soon :)

As for your headaches, these are usually caused by dehydration or stress. They can sometimes be caused by too much caffeine or chocolate, or suddenly removing these items from your diet.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and other non caffeinated drinks and no booze (alcohol), which I doubt you drink because you are at school. :) You need at least 2 litres per day and most people need 2.5 to 3 litres per day.

Stress can cause the muscles in your shoulders and neck to tense up and this can put pressure on the nerves in your neck. This can cause bad headaches, which are made worse by the stress from having the headache. Having a shoulder massage can sometimes help, as can listening to relaxing music or doing things that are pleasant, quiet and enjoyable.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep and try to have a good posture when sleeping, sitting or standing.

Hopefully you feel better soon :)
Thanks for your concern. I have chronic migranes, so its not water thats the problem. My doctors think it could be overstimulation or my anxiety. Im also going to physical therapy for my back, i have mild scoliosis and knee problems so ive had pain my whole life. Im really doing my best, doctors are simply not available right now.
In regards to the fish, after a water change obby seems to be mostly fine, almost all the fuzz is gone. Izzy looks the same, I suppose it could just be her getting on in age. Thank you for the help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back