Iwagumi and Dry start method

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I will try Helanthium and Rotala, should I buy it as tissue culture or potted plant?
Ive had some good results with tissue culture plants. Once you get over how little the plant is and think ‘is that it’ 🤔😂 they’ve grown really well. Another benefit, especially with the landscaping you are doing, you won’t get any snails!
As for your comments about copying, I would say it isn’t copying, just using a template to ensure you are fitting within rules of the style you have chosen.
It’s going to look really lovely, please keep posting photos of the progress 🙂

Last edited:
Ive had some geed results with tissue culture plants. Once you get over how little the plant is and think ‘is that it’ 🤔😂 they’ve grown really well. Another benefit, especially with the landscaping you are doing, you won’t get any snails!
As for your comments about copying, I would say it isn’t copying, just using a template to ensure you are fitting within rules of the style you have chosen.
I don't want any more snails so tissue culture is a way to go!

It’s going to look really lovely, please keep posting photos of the progress 🙂
Thanks for the encouragement, I almost gave up after plants melted.

Tissue cultres are great, a lot of my plants are from them they just get going much quicker :)

Don't give up :) You've come so far with this I think you are going to be onto a winner with these new plants :) I would recommend going for a green rotala rather than a red for now though as they are a bit easier.

Wills

I want to switch rotala to Alternanthera reineckii, do you think it’s a good plant in low-tech?

I want to switch rotala to Alternanthera reineckii, do you think it’s a good plant in low-tech?
A0D359FD-F61B-47DC-8971-61D9A1686D4C.jpeg
The tropics website says this has medium care needs (I’ve attached the details).

It is possible without Co2 but I think you need soft water I know a few people grow it here without Co2 @seangee do you have this in your tank?

I’m back!

I bought Chihiros A-series and planted Helanthium tenellum for 2 weeks now they are growing faster than I thought! Though I have been struggling with dust algae, hair algae and diatom, even though I do daily water changes. (I have light on for about 9 hours)

Also, You have chihiros light right? @Wills
Mine seems to be overheating (burns my fingers) and have the little “electrical shock” feeling whenever I touch the light.

I also think about getting a new background, would you recommend black over white?

Attachments

• D31358B5-BB17-4578-A778-E5A60612C401.jpeg
    D31358B5-BB17-4578-A778-E5A60612C401.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 73
  • 872753AD-23FE-40CD-86C4-39F2B123C2F9.jpeg
    872753AD-23FE-40CD-86C4-39F2B123C2F9.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 7C463E3B-4575-4A7E-8605-4990DCCB68E9.jpeg
    7C463E3B-4575-4A7E-8605-4990DCCB68E9.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Thats great! Looking like its doing well. If you have algae I'd drop the lighting down to 7 hours and see how you get on from there - as the plants fill in it will be easier to control the algae. Some Amano Shrimp would help too and maybe some nerite snails? I'd definitely go for a black background on this tank - going to make your greens really pop out.

In terms of the light unit, mine does get hot but I dont get a shock! It sounds like you might have a fault in it?

Wills

Some Amano Shrimp would help too and maybe some nerite snails?
Nerites and Amanos are crazy expensive here, 10 of them are more expensive than a bag of aquasoil!
In terms of the light unit, mine does get hot but I dont get a shock! It sounds like you might have a fault in it?
I just touch it today and it doesn't chock me anymore...probably because I cut my nail too short yesterday...

Nerites and Amanos are crazy expensive here, 10 of them are more expensive than a bag of aquasoil!

I just touch it today and it doesn't chock me anymore...probably because I cut my nail too short yesterday...
That’s crazy... Here in KY, nerites are only $3 and Amano shrimp are only $4 each. 🤯

I bought 3 nerites and they did a great job on cleaning algae on the stones but not hair algae.
also bought a citric acid CO2 (the one with stainless canister)
and the valve was leaking and explode on my face.

I got these questions:
1. The hair algae problem are getting worse, I thought it would be lesser since CO2 promotes plants grow and win against algae, Is there anything I can do to stop algae? Are siamese algae eaters the answer?
2. How dangerous are aquarium CO2 to environment (and to me) Can CO2 dissolve out of water into air?

@Colin_T @Wills

Shrimp can sometimes help with algae problems. Reducing light and nutrients can help too. Having more live plants can help. Reducing the CO2 in the water can help.

---------------------
CO2 does come out of aquariums and mixes with the air. The amount coming out of an aquarium will not affect people even if you stick your head above a tank and inhale the air.

Carbon Dioxide is a heavy gas and sinks to the ground. If you are in a small closed room and turn on a bottle of CO2 and then lay on the ground, you can die if you spend enough time inhaling the CO2. But in a normal well ventilated house, there is no chance of dying from CO2 poisoning.

Bottled CO2 is under pressure and can freeze skin if it comes out of the bottle suddenly and sprays on your skin. But most good bottles with regulators and valves never do that.

A citric acid CO2 unit is not likely to do anything to your skin or you. They don't have a lot of CO2 in them.

---------------------
High levels of CO2 are bad for the environment but so is chopping down trees, burning things, using fossil fuel and generally ruining the planet. The amount of CO2 from an aquarium is not going to make a lot of difference to the planet considering the amount people pump out with day to day activities.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back