Ive Put Rocks In [ Piccies ]

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
thanks fella, when you consider what it did look like before, lol with the brown water and crap everywhere , all i need to do now is get the ### fish , and a few plants....i see your avatar is an f8 , that's what im planning to keep , would you say in your experience that my tank is f8 friendly ?

the rock on the left / centre was 19.99 , imported from germany , but i had the last 3 bits because the lfs told me its getting too expensive to import , it was pure luck finding it , because i was worried id be trying a 100 shops before i was happy, but i got a result in the 1st shop i walked into

ill add another piccy with the blind closed.............
DSC01477.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

DSC01476.jpg

For long term your gonna have to put f8 puffers in low end brackish water to live there full potential for 1 f8 i would say you need at least 55litres for 1 so 3 would be fine in your tank you may also find they will be aggressive towards each other but this depends on the puffers them self's there all different a few hiding places / blind spots in the tank would be great for aggression

If i was you m8 i would look at south American puffers you could also have a trio of them and there friendly with each other and require freshwater only there also more tolerant to other fish compared to other puffers

thats kinda my layout of my tank. but i have black sand instead lol

why sa puffers ? my minds set on f8 puffers , im fine with learning as i go & brackish im fine with .... besides the SA puffers can get a little too big for my liking...

why sa puffers ? my minds set on f8 puffers , brackish im fine with .... besides the SA puffers can get a little too big for my liking...
Thats fine then you shouldn't have a problem like i said make sure theres hinding places ect and all should be fine

SAPs dont get much bigger if not the same size as f8s just thought you might of not wanted to go brackish so just recommended a good FW puffer

well on the main centre rock there is a swim through as on the one on the left, plants too should provide a blind spot or 2, im also planning on adding a small plant pot of sorts ....

well on the main centre rock there is a swim through as on the one on the left, plants too should provide a blind spot or 2, im also planning on adding a small plant pot of sorts ....
Just be prepared to have to move a puffer or two like i said you never if there gonna nip each other or not there great fish to have im starting a planted tank once my light unit arrives im gonna be keeping a few SAPs cant wait the only problem is i can only get them online £18 ea :crazy:

Heres a little info on f8

Common Name: Figure Eight Puffer

Other Common Names: F8 Puffer; Eyespot Puffer

Family: Tetraodontidae

Distribution: S.E. Asia & India: Asia: Indochina, Malaysia and Indonesia. Brackish estuaries and streams

Water Parameters: Low-end brackish water (SG = 1.005 - 1.008); Temp:24-28C (76-84F) ; pH: 7.8-8.3

Personality/Temperament: Somewhat agressive, although less likely to predate tankmates than T. Nigroviridis. An active fin nipper that hunts for food.

Max. Size: 3 inches (8 cm)

Estimated Lifespan: 15 years

Sexual Dimorphism: Unknown. Cannot tell genders apart by eye.

Diet: Feed a varied diet of mollusks and crustaceans. Hard-shelled food is important to prevent beak overgrowth. Feeding and Diet article

Care: Despite other reports to the contrary, this species requires brackish water for good health. Introduce to a fully cycled aquarium, and maintain and a low-to-medium salinity. Strong filtration is recommended. A tank size of 15 gallons for one Figure 8 and

Breeding: While reports do exist of breeding in aquaria, it has not been properly documented and is extremely unlikely.

Minimum Tank Size: 15 US Gallons (50 liters)

### ! thats quite a bit , but hey you know you want them ! B-)

ive read a fair bit on the f8`s, im hoping i get some that are *ok* rather than angry bastids !

mr white, after reading your post again, what do you mean , be prepared to move a puffer or 2 ? out of the tank ?

i cant see how im going to move any fish unless i remove them totally ?

In case you find a puffer chasing another puffer like i said they MAY be aggressive with each other so if they are you will have to remove the aggressive fish or you will end up with a dead one instead

honestly mate; i love it!

i like the way the sand has gone onto it, it look very natural, i really like it!

how about a huge mangrove root for the middle?

tank looks great mate :good:

also, adding on Craster's point, how about building up the stones, or make some leaning on the other one? ive done that; it gives some more height to the tank slightly.

also, like he said Craster, he is going to be buying alot of plants and he will be buying some more stuff when he has the funds :)

wow the tank looks good

i agree with the mangrove root, get a big one with like loadsa twisty bits

mangroves , ive looked em up, all i see is a medium maintenance plant ? that remove nitrates !

am i on the right track ?

and mr white, fingers crossed eh !

thanks for the comments guys, im about to have a look at the tank and change it a little....

edit :- found some mangrove roots, looking good !

but mostly too large for my liking , so ill just replicate one with smaller pieces tied together ....

lol sorry nơb question xD are those rock real and heavy? would it break the bottom of the tank if done incorrectly?

yes they are heavy and yes it would break the bottom if done incorrectly , but in all honestly , apply a little common sense and you / or anyone , will be fine , as is the case 99.99% of the time

If you don't mind not having real you can get some good fake looking ones that are easy to place? (mangrove roots that is ;))

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back