I've lost 3 glowlight tetras - any suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LostBear

Fish Addict
Reaction score
All females - developed what appeared to be swim bladder problems. First one a fortnight ago, and roughly one a week since. All apparently healthy, eating well, shoaling as usual, good healthy appearance - then suddenly swimming on sides. Bellies very swollen.

With each I've "hospitalised" her separately, with sea salt added to the water and not fed her. Two died within two days. The third seemed to rally and I thought she was going to be okay, but then relapsed this afternoon and died this evening.

Tank parameters fine. Haven't introduced any new fish or plants, so I doubt it could be parasites. Fish are about 6/7 months old and otherwise healthy and active. 64l planted tank with 6 (now 3) glowlight tetras, 10 neon tetras and 2 zebra nerites.

Could the swollen bellies be eggs? - I assumed they were just greedy feeders. Do tetras get "egg bound"? As I say - I thought it was swim bladder problems but surely they aren't contagious?

Is there anything I could do to reduce the chances of this happening again?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

As you know, I am having the same issue. Mine shouldn’t have parasites either but I did treat with epsom salt as a laxative and Metroplex mixed in food for parasites. :)

As you know, I am having the same issue. Mine shouldn’t have parasites either but I did treat with epsom salt as a laxative and Metroplex mixed in food for parasites. :)
What concentration of epsom salts do you use?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back