I've had my shrimp for less than 24 hours, one has already molted. i see these brown spots on it though, is this okay? should i be concerned?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lavathebetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
these are my first shrimp, so hopefully all is well. pics are below. i only noticed the brown spots post molt. i have 6 blue dream neos.

shrimp with molt.jpg

shrimp with brown spot.jpg

She could just be showing some parental trait and not be a true Blue Dream but a Blue Diamond. Watch her carefully to make sure she is behaving normally, and if so, no need to worry.

She could just be showing some parental trait and not be a true Blue Dream but a Blue Diamond. Watch her carefully to make sure she is behaving normally.
ok sounds good. these are my first shrimp, what counts as normal behavior? she's been chilling on the sponge filter all day, underneath, shifting around and eating/picking at the filter. i seeded the filter in another tank (without any shrimp in it) for like 4 weeks so there is bio film and algae on it. the rest of the stuff in the tank is new.

i bought them off of a guy off craiglist who is local to me, looking back at the listing he says they are cobalt. not sure if that helps.

ok sounds good. these are my first shrimp, what counts as normal behavior? she's been chilling on the sponge filter all day, underneath, shifting around and eating/picking at the filter. i seeded the filter in another tank (without any shrimp in it) for like 4 weeks so there is bio film and algae on it. the rest of the stuff in the tank is new.

i bought them off of a guy off craiglist who is local to me, looking back at the listing he says they are cobalt. not sure if that helps.
Seeing shrimp on sponge filters is quite normal. They will spend all day scavenging for good and eating the microorganisms that are on the filter.

The brown spot is most likely eggs forming.

She looks like a Blue Dream to me, but I could be mistaken.

Seeing shrimp on sponge filters is quite normal. They will spend all day scavenging for good and eating the microorganisms that are on the filter.

The brown spot is most likely eggs forming.

She looks like a Blue Dream to me, but I could be mistaken.
don't they carry the eggs in the back though? like under the abdomen? just confused as to what these are and worried it's disease. there also are two spots on one side and a smaller one on the other.

don't they carry the eggs in the back though? like under the abdomen? just confused as to what these are and worried it's disease. there also are two spots on one side and a smaller one on the other.
It does not look like a saddle to me. She will be most vulnerable right after molting, so keep an eye on her. From what you describe sounds like she is behaving normally.

If the brown spots are in the head, they are blood in the shrimp's heart and organs.

It varies throughout different species and breeding conditions.

If the brown spots are in the head, they are blood in the shrimp's heart and organs.
It could be that. ^

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back