I've got foerschi fry!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

juliethegr8t

Addicted and in Therapy
Reaction score
Last night I was getting really frustrated with my foerschi dad, because it had been over 2 1/2 weeks, when he's supposed to hold from 8 - 14 days. :crazy: Anyways, decided to do a water change, hoping it might provoke a change, and when I looked in my pail, I found a kiddo!! :hyper: There weren't any others, so I thought it might be a fluke... later that night there were 3! :D Just took him out of the tank, because he's eating and that means he has released them all. Unfortunately, it was a very small spawn - I've counted 10 at most. But hey, I'm happy with getting any, and he'll probably hold them again next time too. :nod: Yey! I've got these babies, FINALLY! They're soooooo incredibly cute. :wub: Very reddish-brown, instead of the grey-brown the falx were. They're still too tiny to take pics of, I think, but if I get any shots in the next few weeks I'll post them. :thumbs: Dad is back in his tank and eating like a horse, I'm so proud. :)

Congratulation!!! Juliet! I am happy for you. You should trust your betta next time. The father know what he is doing.:) I think the fries are still small and that is why he cap them for a while in his mouth. Actually, the babies are eating the mucus from the father mouth. I called it saliva. :p
Hope you will post some picture out soon. I got two batch bettas since two days ago. I check them and the fathers still taking care of the babies. LOL one is a small batch and the other is big batch!

Yeah, he usually eats them either when they're still eggs or when they have just hatched. He's big chipmunky cheeks one day and fat belly the next. :rolleyes:

Got a bad pic, but you can see em. :p I've counted 11, I think that's the final number. And mom is about ready to spawn again. :crazy:

Attachments

• foerschifry.jpg
    foerschifry.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 103
Since he got experience now, you should let him takecare of the babies next time. Good for the new off springs. He knows it is his babies and he won't eat it. The more experience the male is, the more he will reproduces.
Mine getting better everytime breeding. Like expert male. hahahaha Experiences! :lol:

congrats julie, i'm glad you have taken such an interest in wildtype bettas ;)

I know this may sound a little "dumb" of me, but what type are foerchi bettas? Is there an article on here that I may have missed? :/ :S

No problem! A lot of people haven't heard of them, and if they'd missed all my background info on them I wouldn't be surprised if you're confused. ;) They're a type of wild betta - there are many types - if you want to check them out go to http://www.ibc-smp.org That's the IBC's Species Maintenance Program, and there is a list of them with info. :thumbs: It's like a type of Gourami for example. Moonlight Gouramis and Croaking Gouramis are obviously completely different species, but belong to the same group and have a lot of similarities, as a result. :)

Here's my male Betta foerschi. :wub:

Attachments

• foerschigreen.jpg
    foerschigreen.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 92
Thanks! I spent a total of 45 minutes looking at those creatures of beauty :D

:clap:
Congrats julie! That's a nice, early holiday present. Good luck w/ all of you fry and your next bunch as well.

Most reactions

Back