I've Found Heaven On Earth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Is it just me or have anyone else had dreams about places like this? :blush: :blush:

Thats a nice yellow lab, how do we know that you didn't buy these fish from a petstore :shifty: I would like to see pics of this pool, and actually be able to see fish :rolleyes: :good:

Oh man. You can never know if I just bought the guy at a petshop or not, until I get the pics. You just have to have faith. This post is a lot like a religion :), I tell the the coolest thing I have ever seen/experienced and some don't believe it! But some do... so kudos to you that do. Good golly, I am thinking of taking work off just to get the pics to you guys quicker!!!

Oh, we must have been writing posts at the same time nevergone, thanks for the comments and the backup, and thanks for the compliment on my lab! I nearly wet my pants when we caught him. Our methods and nets werent the greatest. Catching fish in a 55 gal is hard enough but a big ol' pond with a net proved to be quite impossible. We caught the lab by placing pieces of bread (all of the fish went crazy for bread) in a modified crayfish trap... we left it sitting for over an hour and this one was the only one smart enough (or dumb enough depending on your point of view) to get inside. The little guy I caught with a net, and you are right, it could be a cichlid hybrid of sorts... never thought of that. We also caught a guppy that my friend took home which was unlike any guppy I have seen, I will try to get a pic of him too.

Its entirely possible.

I know of two similar places here in the UK!

In the late 1980s there was a large breeding population of mollies in Warrington, just south of Manchester. There was a power station or something that vented its warm waste water into a river and kept the temp high all year round. A few angelfish were found, too.

It's amazing how many places support tropicals in wet and cold England.

you're very welcome. we could have posted at the same time lol. get these pics up asap to dismiss the doubters, if its beautiful liek you say, we may need ot work something out via pm for my next vacation... obviously it'll probably be too far away so bringing fish back would be a no go. so conservation would last.

I'm with you on that, its been kept a secret for a reason and it should remain that way :D. when you say other cichlids, can you identify any of them, liek the bigger ones? i'm pictureing this paradise in my head, geez it must be amazing!!!!

and get pics of this guppy :D

Is it just me or have anyone else had dreams about places like this? :blush: :blush:

Thats a nice yellow lab, how do we know that you didn't buy these fish from a petstore :shifty: I would like to see pics of this pool, and actually be able to see fish :rolleyes: :good:

Oh man. You can never know if I just bought the guy at a petshop or not, until I get the pics. You just have to have faith. This post is a lot like a religion :), I tell the the coolest thing I have ever seen/experienced and some don't believe it! But some do... so kudos to you that do. Good golly, I am thinking of taking work off just to get the pics to you guys quicker!!!

Oh, we must have been writing posts at the same time nevergone, thanks for the comments and the backup, and thanks for the compliment on my lab! I nearly wet my pants when we caught him. Our methods and nets werent the greatest. Catching fish in a 55 gal is hard enough but a big ol' pond with a net proved to be quite impossible. We caught the lab by placing pieces of bread (all of the fish went crazy for bread) in a modified crayfish trap... we left it sitting for over an hour and this one was the only one smart enough (or dumb enough depending on your point of view) to get inside. The little guy I caught with a net, and you are right, it could be a cichlid hybrid of sorts... never thought of that. We also caught a guppy that my friend took home which was unlike any guppy I have seen, I will try to get a pic of him too.

meh, let the doubters doubt :) dont take a day off for them. just bide your time, go when you can and then if people can see the pics, the doubters will just sound silly lol no offence to those who doubt its more the fact that anyone who is so skeptical to the point of giving the person grief over it, is going to look pretty silly when they proved wrong especially when a lot of them are so adamant.

now ive defended you, you have to make sure you put these pics up lol or ill look silly hehehehehe nah, im not silly, just trusting...dont see why anyone would lie about this :)

Yes, and if everyone trusts each other and everyone doent do anything for someone not to trut... then we just solved oh say... EVERY problem i nthe world in either a direct or indirect way :p.

I can't wait for these pics. i'm going to have dreams about tthat place tonight :lol:!!!

I gotta say that I believe this 100%! I believe it cuz there is a place in the river near my house that is kinda the same, except the hot water coming out if from a power plant. For years people have dumped unwanted fish into the river and the ones lucky enough to find the warm area around the plant have survived. They use the river water to cool parts of the plant (it's a coal plant....unfortunately) and the water leaving the plant is warm enough to sustain tropical fish year round....and they are there. I have personally witnessed pacus, oscars, schools of tiger barbs and (quite surprisingly) neon tetras, assorted african cichlids among others. There is a story of a kid fishing off a dock nearby and pulling out a piranah....doubful tho, was prolly just a Pacu.

So, while I remain skeptical until we can get some pics, I still believe it is quite possible.

this is certanily possable, all these fish can addapt to a wide array of water parimiters,
anfrican cichlids will only cross breed if there is none of the same fish of the different gender.

i cant wait for pics :good:

that lab is a beauty :hyper:

what i do when im catching stickel backs in my creek i will have a deep net with a long handle, the ones from the doller stores work best, and then put some food or somthing that attracks the fish over then net then once the fish is over the net quickly pull up hte net out of the water, works all the time for me

I live in Canada.... I wish I had some kind of hotsprings/powerplant in my back yard! lol....

ohhh the fun i'd have stocking......

As more and more of you are saying that you have seen places like this, im starting to believe it, i just would like to see pics of this pool and its inhabitants :nod:

It would be interesting if there were a shoal of Iridescent sharks in there.

that would probably be one of the only places they could reach their actual size other then their natural habitat.....

you're very welcome. we could have posted at the same time lol. get these pics up asap to dismiss the doubters, if its beautiful liek you say, we may need ot work something out via pm for my next vacation... obviously it'll probably be too far away so bringing fish back would be a no go. so conservation would last.

I'm with you on that, its been kept a secret for a reason and it should remain that way :D. when you say other cichlids, can you identify any of them, liek the bigger ones? i'm pictureing this paradise in my head, geez it must be amazing!!!!

and get pics of this guppy :D

this is certanily possable, all these fish can addapt to a wide array of water parimiters,
anfrican cichlids will only cross breed if there is none of the same fish of the different gender.

i cant wait for pics :good:

that lab is a beauty :hyper:

what i do when im catching stickel backs in my creek i will have a deep net with a long handle, the ones from the doller stores work best, and then put some food or somthing that attracks the fish over then net then once the fish is over the net quickly pull up hte net out of the water, works all the time for me

Hey nevergone, about identifying the cichlids, there were some large ones that were not too colorful except for some irrisdescent bluish green spots, they didn't seem to aggressive and got quite large (4-6 inches) I was thinking they were some type of mouthbrooder, and there are TONS of them. There are yellow labs like the one I caught, there were some very bright blue almost neon cichlids, some gray and blue cichlids, and some orange colored cichlids. All are africans I believe. Closer to shore there were convict cichlids and a cichlid with a big spot on it, I thought it could be a convict but I wasn't sure. I only saw this once, but I saw a HUGE fish near the bottom that looked like a frontosa... you know with the big knob on the head, but it wasnt bluish like other frontosas I have seen, it was almost white so it could have been something else. Thanks again for being trusting.

And to caboose, thanks for the lab compliments, I sure thought he was great lookin, and I tried the net approach that you described with little success the first time, but maybe with a bigger net... I am even considering fly fishing for them... don't know if it would work.

Anyways, I don't work tomorrow night so I am off to the pond, so either friday night or sat morning there will be pics!!! Thanks for the posts everyone!

try to get as many pics of the fishas you can. I'll try to help identify as much as i can...I'm not too goodwith africans, but I can do New worldspretty decent.

Can't wait forthe pictures :D

Im eagerly a waiting pictures of this, if its real, and personally i do believe it, then it sounds like one amazing place.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back