I've Found Heaven On Earth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Chuka1212

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I was at my the Wal-Mart fish section just looking (I would never buy from there :rolleyes: ) while my wife was shopping. An older gentlemen came up to me and told me about a hidden/secluded hotspring pool where tropical fish thrive. I was a bit skeptical as the weather here frequently gets 20 below (F) in the wintertime. But I took down the directions anyways.

Yesterday I decided to grab a buddy of mine and with nets and buckets in tow, we went in search of these fabled hot springs. With the help of some locals and after 2 hours of searching we found a huge pool in the middle of the sagebrush desert, hours away from any sort of city and.... we were astonished to find hundreds, if not thousands of african cichlids, guppies, koi, some south american cichlids, etc living in this pool! It was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

The pool remains a constant 80 degrees or so and empties into a stream where the water quickly drops below 50 within a couple of yards, so all of the fish are self contained in this pool. Our methods for catching fish were terrible at best but we did manage to get one beautiful african cichlid and a fish I have never seen in my life. I will post it in a seperate thread in hopes that I can get an ID. Anyways, pictures are forthcoming, as I forgot my camera... :blush: but I will go there again soon. Has anyone else heard of places like this??

Here's a link to one of the fish we found there: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=199045

i dont know what to think :huh:
all those fish living together?
how big is this pool

i dont know what to think :huh:
all those fish living together?
how big is this pool

It is true!! I will get pictures to show you, the water is relatively clear. I couldn't believe it either when i saw goldfish, koi, and various cichlids all in the same pool. The cichlids definately dominate the fish population, however. The pool is about 75 yards wide and 90 yards long (a rough estimate). The pool at its deepest is about 3.5 to 4 feet deep. There are the remains of an old log house partially submerged in the H20 where I saw many of the convict cichlids and smaller africans. The shore is where all the guppies are, as it is heavily planted and thats how they survive living with the others I suppose. It is quite amazing.

wow if this turns out 2 be legitimate then ity deffinately is an amazing find, and one from a strange old man like the on the movies.
i would love 2 see some pics

wow if this turns out 2 be legitimate then ity deffinately is an amazing find, and one from a strange old man like the on the movies.
i would love 2 see some pics

Sure, keep watching the post. I will get pictures when we go back in a week or two, you'll be amazed. I would go back tonight but it is about two hours away from where I live. Plus I need to come up with better ways to catch them. In three hours we only caught three fish. Lol, it is like the movies I suppose, with the old wal-mart man . :)

That is amazing...... although, as many others on here, i'm left a little skeptical..... hahahaha

you say africans, south americans, koi, and guppies? wow... are you suggesting that someone had bought them, brought them here to the hot springs, and let them free, then maybe they bred over time and created a substantial place to live....?

don't get me wrong here, i'm not trying to be mean, I am truly impressed! but it just seems too good to be true....

I would love to see some pics!

there was once something like this near me someone had released tropical fish into a pond that was fed from a paper works only reall bread and butter gouramis guppies and the like but still in the middle of england impressive

I do believe that this is true, but wouldn't the Koi or Cichlids eaten the Guppies? I suppose if the pool is big enough, they wouldn't bother each other.

If an old man approached me while I was shopping and asked me to visit a secluded pool, I think it'd have to be a firm "No, thanks!". lol

hahahaha... especially fish information..... from WALMART!? I would have expected to have been robbed or something much worse......

Neat... maybe they lived because they got to eat the guppies and the guppies reproduced so darn fast :lol:

I doubt it, becasue i water changes so fast that the temp change would kill it. Also, i dont doubt theese hot springs, i just want to know where exactly it is located. The reason it is possible becasue of volcanic activity, which heats the ground, and obviously the water too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back