IVE DONE SOMETHING STUPID

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

amys

Reaction score
hey there, so basically I have a 60L tank in my bedroom, it currently has two guppies, 1 molly and 6 neon tetras.. my fav fish, the molly was displaying signs of swim bladder disease and I recently got some treatment from Maidenhead aquatics.

I was in a rush and without reading instructions properly quickly read ‘10ml per 50L’ on the bottle so tipped that in as that’s all I would need for the tank and it started turning my tank a bright green.

I read the instructions properly and it said to dilute in 1L of water and pour in slowly to tank.. I panicked and did about a 50% water change but my tank is still green and basically I just want to know have I accidentally killed my fish? Or will it be okay??? Thanks :)

It'll be fine. Might change colour though. Was it a black Molly?

My first comment is that "fish bladder disease" is very rare as a stand-alone disease and not likely the issue. There are other issues that have among their symptoms the inability of the fish to swim. Always look for th atual issue if fish have difficulty swimming. Water conditions (ammonia, nitrite, high nitrate) can cause this, as can inappropriate parameters (GH, pH, temperature), and internal protozoan, and...whatever.

So, looking for the cause here, question is what are your water parameters (GH, pH and temperature)? And what are your water conditions (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) if you can test any of these?

What was the specific "treatment" you got from Maidenhead? A major water change (70% of the tank volume) would be advisable to get rid of as much of it as possible. These things do affect fish, even when used according to instructions, so making sure the "treatment" is actually going to help is necessary, andmost of us have difficulty diagnosing fish ailments. Which is why we start with water parameters, conditions, etc.

Maidenhead Aquatics make a 'swim bladder treatment'

@amys can you tell us if that is what you used?

Maidenhead Aquatics make a 'swim bladder treatment'

@amys can you tell us if that is what you used?
Yes it was this one!

Well, that may (I've no idea) have worked if the issue was those bacteria, but we don't know that. The numbers for the tests I mentioned previously are important, they may tell us the issue.

Be careful what you add to your tank, I will let you read this thread fish problems usually have something to do with water conditions, I never use medications

I would guess that acriflavene is a big ingredient there. It's a medicinal dye that kills a lot of things. It was once used to kill velvet parasites and protect fish eggs from fungus, but has been off the market here in Canada for ages. It is a known carcinogen, although the kind of exposure you had is not to worry about. It takes a lot for a longtime.
Don't drink your tank.
To me, the chances of it working are slim. Maidenhead has a decent reputation outside of Britain, and there are a lot of meds sold to make us feel we're helping our fish when we can't. Maybe it's in that class - meds for the peace of mind of the fishkeeper?
It was once a major ingredient in a lot of remedies - that fluorescent green takes a long time to go away.

Fish lifespans are too short for it to cause cancer in them. Keep changing water, and try to keep it from making your hands glow green.

My first comment is that "fish bladder disease" is very rare as a stand-alone disease and not likely the issue. There are other issues that have among their symptoms the inability of the fish to swim. Always look for th atual issue if fish have difficulty swimming. Water conditions (ammonia, nitrite, high nitrate) can cause this, as can inappropriate parameters (GH, pH, temperature), and internal protozoan, and...whatever.

So, looking for the cause here, question is what are your water parameters (GH, pH and temperature)? And what are your water conditions (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) if you can test any of these?

What was the specific "treatment" you got from Maidenhead? A major water change (70% of the tank volume) would be advisable to get rid of as much of it as possible. These things do affect fish, even when used according to instructions, so making sure the "treatment" is actually going to help is necessary, andmost of us have difficulty diagnosing fish ailments. Which is why we start with water parameters, conditions, etc

Just a quick update:

The fish are looking absolutely fine today - I did another water change and the green is almost gone, all fish are looking fine and healthy, swimming normal etc, thank you everyone for your help and advice :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back