I've Discovered Cory Eggs! But Are They Bronze Or Sterbai Eggs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ey2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In the 29g cory tank, I have panda, sterbai and bronze cories in there and discovered around 60 eggs today. Its been a few months since I've seen any spawning behaviour from the cories.

THe problem is, I'm not sure if the eggs belong to the sterbais or the bronze - it shouldn't be the pandas are most of them are still juveniles.

Is there any way of determining whether the eggs are sterbai or bronze?

Last time around (6 months ago), the bronze cories spawned like mad and over 2 weeks I found about 600 eggs in total. Unfortunately, most of the fry did not make it. I ended up raising about 20 up until they were 4 weeks old, but eventually all but 3 died when I put them in the main tank.

Hopefully I get sterbai fry this time round and that I'll be able to get a higher success rate. Sterbai cories are extremely rare here and I finally found some the other day, they were sold for $20 each!

In regards to the eggs, I've taken them out and placed them all in a separate container that is floating on the tank water. I've added an airstone for water circulation and have some liquid fry food ready as soon as they hatch.

How long does it usually take for the eggs to hatch?

only way to find out what they are is to sit and wait now. my breeding trio of sterbai only lay around 30 at a time every couple of days. you cant tell just by looking at them. However, if there are signs that there have been more eggs laid and that they have been eaten, then i would say they are bronze given that sterbai dont produce as many as sterbai in one go.

Great news! I just checked on the eggs and to my surprise, about 25 of the eggs have hatched!! Sadly about 15 was loss due to fungus...so that leaves me with another 20 or so eggs.

The coolest thing was to actually see the fry 'hatching', if there is such a thing? To the more experienced cory owners, have you ever witnessed fry hatching? I actually saw a little tail moving whilst the body is still in the egg shell! A minute later, the whole body appears and is swimming around freely...an awesome sight, tried to take piccies but it was too hard.

Still can't tell whether they are sterbai or bronze fry though.

Aaaaw, congrats. I love it when the eggs finally hatch. We've watched our eggs hatch before. I have three kids and they absolutely loved watching the 'baby' fish being born.

I think it will be a few weeks till you're able to tell whether you have sterbai or bronze fry. Bronze cories also tend to be spotted for a few weeks. I think it's a camouflage thing.

What have you got to feed them? You only need to start feeding them in 2-3 days, once they've absorbed their yolk sacs.

Good luck, and if you have any pics, we'd love to see them.

:D

Hi ey2006 :)

It's wonderful to see the tiny little fry emerge from their shells. I never get tired of seeing it happen. :wub:

What's the temperature of your water? :unsure: While both C. aeneus and C. sterbai are raised the same way in most things, you will want the temperature to be somewhat higher in the fry tank if you suspect they are sterbai fry.

Please think about setting up a separate tank for them as soon as possible. They won't last long if you are feeding them liquid fry food in a small container. Cory fry need very clean water and that food will pollute it quickly. If you can get some microworms started, so much the better.

Good luck with them! :D

In the 29g cory tank, I have panda, sterbai and bronze cories in there and discovered around 60 eggs today. Its been a few months since I've seen any spawning behaviour from the cories.

THe problem is, I'm not sure if the eggs belong to the sterbais or the bronze - it shouldn't be the pandas are most of them are still juveniles.

Is there any way of determining whether the eggs are sterbai or bronze?

Last time around (6 months ago), the bronze cories spawned like mad and over 2 weeks I found about 600 eggs in total. Unfortunately, most of the fry did not make it. I ended up raising about 20 up until they were 4 weeks old, but eventually all but 3 died when I put them in the main tank.

Hopefully I get sterbai fry this time round and that I'll be able to get a higher success rate. Sterbai cories are extremely rare here and I finally found some the other day, they were sold for $20 each!

In regards to the eggs, I've taken them out and placed them all in a separate container that is floating on the tank water. I've added an airstone for water circulation and have some liquid fry food ready as soon as they hatch.

How long does it usually take for the eggs to hatch?
i think they are bronze cory fry, because if you think about it, they have been the ones who bred before, meaning they have been stimulated before. If it happened before and they went crazy with so many eggs in your tank, i think they are definitely the most likely ones to do it this time around. I don't think the sterbai may even be stimulated to breed, it may just be the bronze, and either way, where did you find the eggs? (correct me if i am wrong @DoubleDutch ) If the eggs were on the glass, then it probably was the bronze as they are well known for laying them on the front glass, while sterbai don't tend to do that.

I wouldn't get too excited about this thread because it's from 2006 (the year not the person).

yup, but either way this thread never finished off where it started, they were suppose to say what eggs they were sterbai or bronze, but the didn't.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back