I've already tried all the basic recommendations

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have algae on the walls, decorations, and live plants. I've already tried wiping off the algae, but it wouldn't come off. I have the light on for 7 hours a day. I do regular water changes. I have a snail and some fish that like to pick at the algae. I have a 20 gallon so I can't get any big algae eaters. I still have algae after all the common recommendations given.

Picture of the tank and algae so we can identify it?

How many live plants are in the tank and what species of plants are they?

Picture of the tank and algae so we can identify it?

How many live plants are in the tank and what species of plants are they?
It won't let me submit a picture for some reason, otherwise I would.

I don't remember the names of all the plants, but I have mostly java fern because that's the only plant I've had success with so far. Currently I have seven plants.

Get about 2 nerite snails and 2-3 Amano shrimp... They will love the feast prepared. Both of those critters just love to eat algae, and many kinds.

But maybe there is a way to rid of the algae without using a creature. That's just what came to mind for me

Get about 2 nerite snails and 2-3 Amano shrimp... They will love the feast prepared. Both of those critters just love to eat algae, and many kinds.
I already have a snail, but I might look into getting more. I'm unsure if I should get shrimp because I also have a betta that could eat them.

I already have a snail, but I might look into getting more. I'm unsure if I should get shrimp because I also have a betta that could eat them.
Oh no, not the Amano. Too big for his little mouth 🤣.
Also what snail do you have? Nerite snails look wayyyy better than you average freshwater snail and they eat a little of algae. (More than other types of snails)
So do Amanos, they also eat a lot of algae.

Oh no, not the Amano. Too big for his little mouth 🤣.
Also what snail do you have? Nerite snails look wayyyy better than you average freshwater snail and they eat a little of algae. (More than other types of snails)
So do Amanos, they also eat a lot of algae.
So amano shrimp are too big? I thought I read somewhere that shrimp and bettas can be a problem, but if not, I'd love to get some. Not sure what the snail is, was wild caught.

So amano shrimp are too big? I thought I read somewhere that shrimp and bettas can be a problem, but if not, I'd love to get some. Not sure what the snail is, was wild caught.
Some types of shrimp are too small... But Amano are larger than most and USUALLY a betta will leave them alone.

If a betta decides he doesn't want amano shrimps in his tank he would attack them even if they are larger than shrimps like red cherry shrimps. I had some of those in with my last betta until I found bits of shrimp scattered over the tank. The survivors were promptly removed.
Then again with a different betta I once transferred some rice fish eggs by accident on a plant from my main tank. They hatched and he ignored the fry. I left them in his tank until they were big enough to survive back in the main tank.

That's the trouble with bettas, you never know what they'll do :huh:

If a betta decides he doesn't want amano shrimps in his tank he would attack them even if they are larger than shrimps like red cherry shrimps. I had some of those in with my last betta until I found bits of shrimp scattered over the tank. The survivors were promptly removed.
Then again with a different betta I once transferred some rice fish eggs by accident on a plant from my main tank. They hatched and he ignored the fry. I left them in his tank until they were big enough to survive back in the main tank.

Yup... He may or may not approve but guess sis he might if he allows the snail to be there 😅

The betta I have is a female in a community tank. She doesn't usually show any aggression. She only flares at the bag when I get new fish. Other than that she stays out of everyone's way.

That's good for amanos then - unless you have other shrimp eating fish in the tank.

If your tank is glass you could try a razor scraper...I love mine, gets the toughest algae off and doesn't scratch the glass

Amanos are like hogs in a potato field.
They cleared my 75ltre tank which had loads of hair algae on plants, wood, heater etc in about 4 weeks. 4 of them and they have really grown as a result.
Less lights also helps and in fact if you can do without, if the tank gets a bit of natural daylight for instance, then just go for it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back