itty bitty betta??? please answer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aernympha

Fish Herder
Reaction score
itty bittty betta??? can i ask u a question how do u keep ur bettas alive and stuff etc cos u seem like a pro and u have loads of the little guys ....but i didnt notice any heaters of filters?? what do u do cos i have seen thos tnaks on sale in birtain i was think of getting one!!! for a betta but peeps kempt n saying that u couldn't keep them alive withe out heater or filter.......so what do u do??? like water changes and other stuff???? it would help me greatly as if i can i might ask for a betta tnak for christmas!!!! soooo please!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!! help

thank you itty bitty betta

anyone else had experince in keeping betta in tanks without filters or heaters....

(also anyone sels please don't post about using heaters of filters as the whole will be hi-jacked into a long dicussion and argumanet i just want advice form people who do keep betta in this condition and how they keep them alive!!)

thnx everyone :nod: :thumbs:

wuv what is ur oppinon because i know that u have alot of bettas and i trust u :D :thumbs: and anyone else please put in ur thought on how it is poosible to look after a betta :D

i keep all three of my bettas in unfiltered unheated tanks. two are in aquascene plus one gallon tanks (kind of a wedge shape tank) and one used to be in a one gallon but he prefers a smaller space so he lives in dual betta hex (divider removed so he has the whole thing to himself). as long you don't overfeed and do a weekly water change (sometimes, twice a week has been necessary for me, usually 25 to 50% for their tanks) and use dechlor water, you should be fine. just don't keep them inthe coldest room in the house and the heaterless factor shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with Many a Molly, I have 6 bettas, 3 kept in unfiltered, unheated 1-2 gallon tanks. I do 100% water changes weekly with treated water for them. Some bettas just prefer to be in a tank that has no moving water. I feed mine betta pellets as well as bloodworms. They are all healthy and happy. THe 3 unfiltered boys live in their tanks in my livingroom on top of my entertainment center. I keep them there because the house temp is usually warmer higher up. Just keep it in a warm room, and he should be fine. Good luck
Sandy

Mine is in a 2 gallon hex tank without a filter or heater. It does have a light and I use it sometimes to keep the water a bit warmer as the house temp. drops.

The beauty of these small tanks is that you can clean them very easily. I take the fish out and keep it in a cup with water from the tank. Empty the tank rinse the gravel and fill with with treated water and add the fish.

I know this is not the best for growing bacteria but if you do this regularly enough there seems to be no issue with ammonia buildup.

thnx guy this has been great encouragement to have heard form peep with sucesss :D :thumbs: i am thinking of keeping it in my room next to my goldfish tank :D well my goldfish tank is always around the temp of 24 but i think that manily cos of the light :blink: so i am not sure.. wether it willl be warm enough :D

FanOFish said:
The beauty of these small tanks is that you can clean them very easily. I take the fish out and keep it in a cup with water from the tank. Empty the tank rinse the gravel and fill with with treated water and add the fish.
Yup...this is exactly what I do. I have little to no problems at all. I have 4 bettas in their own 1 gallon bowls.

:D

I'm not a pro. I am just following textbook maintenance and common sense. But tenx for the compliment! :*) I've read as much as I can about keeping bettas, but I still learn something new everyday. I stick to the basics and they are as follows:

clean water, feeding, decent housing, temperature

- clean water: I have a regular tank-cleaning schedule, but some guys are messier than others! :lol:; no need for a filter if you are willing to spend the time siphoning their containers and doing water changes; it gives me a chance to interact with them and I find it very relaxing cleaning their tanks and find it an 'art' making each little tank like a mini aquarium
- feeding: I know there are some of you who will flame me for feeding them only once a day for two or three days straight, but it ensures they will always eat what is given, and the tank stays cleaner longer (less floating particles)
- a quart-sized container is minimal: provide them with gravel and a plant to rest on; I use plastic plants because they don't rot
- there is a heater in every room, so the temperature inside my place never goes below 70F but stays at a comfortable 74F most of the time during winter

I'm DYING to have those wedge-shaped 1 gallon tanks MANY_A_MOLLY has! I'm so jealous!

thanx alot itty bitty betta for ur advice i will also read lots and get a book on bettas :D :thumbs: thnx everyone now i can put a small tank on my christmas list!!! :D :thumbs: :crazy: thnx so much to everyone ur all great!!!!!!! :D

well without a filter and heater .... she use to the other fishes having them....perhaps i can get one with a heater ....... but i dont really have the socket room well i do but the wire would have to strech a long way!! :D :cool: thnx everyone

I have 5 betta tanks and none of them are heated OR filtered. Usually once a week I just have "tank cleaning day" and completely clean their tanks, add the dechlorinator to the new water, and then stick em back in there.

Three of my tanks have overhead lights, and that helps to keep them warm, but we turn the heat on in winter, so you know. The water just... stays naturally warm by itself. And in summer, not a problem either, seeing as it's hot outside and we usually just open the windows for a breeze.

Good luck getting your tank! Happy Betta Hunting!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back