It's been a long time

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Knowledge about fish changes over time.

Yes. I suppose you're right. This is definitely new to me. I always supposed I was doing my bettas a favour by taking them out of those tiny dishes and giving them a big tank to swim in :/

We aren’t meaning to be rude or jumping on you/your tank; we just want you to be informed. :)

Thank you for the information; I am a little confused because what I have observed seems to contradict some of the information, but maybe you can explain to me why this is so. Almost all of my bettas have lived for an average of 3 years, and they were all full grown at purchase. I haven't had problems with betta aggression (except when I was younger and inexperienced I tried keeping them with guppies...which was a...regretful decision). My current betta has never shown increased aggression, seems to enjoy squeezing through the live plants, watching the shrimp, and pretty much ignores the minnows. I have never seen the minnows go after the betta. Have I just had the luck of the draw with my choices? Is it all coincidence and have all my bettas just happened to be less-aggressive specimens?

I'm very curious because back in the day when I was very active on forums (including here) I can't recall ever being 'told off' for having a betta in my tropical tanks. Some people found it interesting but never said it was a bad thing to do. Many were long-time aquarists and breeders whom I respected.

Truly was not expecting this thread to turn into this... :/

I will do my best to answer your questions. As I mentioned previously, there are exceptions everywhere in the animal kingdom, and the safest approach is to assume the norm and not push the envelope. Also, I am always cognizant that this forum has many inexperienced members new to the hobby (unlike you and I) and they can read "x" and run off with a completely misunderstood idea. Then they come back a few weeks later asking why their Betta huddled in the corner and died overnight. Sometimes generalities, when they are the norm for the species, are best hammered home.

The lifespan according to most "Betta" sources is somewhere in the two to four year range, with most seeming to be in the 2-3 end of this. Your experiences suggest healthy Bettas. The cooler temperature may have played into this too, but we don't know the exact temperature.

Essjay posted as I have been typing, and I second her comment that as we learn more our perceptions may change. This hobby is totally scientific, from start to finish. We are creating an artificial ecosystem in the aquarium, no doubt about that, but that system will nonetheless function in accordance with the laws of the natural world respecting biology, chemistry, microbiology, etc. There is nothing artificial about how the aquarium operates; understanding those scientific laws and working with them is the recipe for success when we care about our fish and for their health and well-being. Scientific knowledge in this hobby is catching up; our understanding of the implications of DNA since it was discovered in the 1970's has been rapid and frankly changed most of our previously-held concepts about fish. :fish:

I will do my best to answer your questions. As I mentioned previously, there are exceptions everywhere in the animal kingdom, and the safest approach is to assume the norm and not push the envelope. Also, I am always cognizant that this forum has many inexperienced members new to the hobby (unlike you and I) and they can read "x" and run off with a completely misunderstood idea. Then they come back a few weeks later asking why their Betta huddled in the corner and died overnight. Sometimes generalities, when they are the norm for the species, are best hammered home.

The lifespan according to most "Betta" sources is somewhere in the two to four year range, with most seeming to be in the 2-3 end of this. Your experiences suggest healthy Bettas. The cooler temperature may have played into this too, but we don't know the exact temperature.

Essjay posted as I have been typing, and I second her comment that as we learn more our perceptions may change. This hobby is totally scientific, from start to finish. We are creating an artificial ecosystem in the aquarium, no doubt about that, but that system will nonetheless function in accordance with the laws of the natural world respecting biology, chemistry, microbiology, etc. There is nothing artificial about how the aquarium operates; understanding those scientific laws and working with them is the recipe for success when we care about our fish and for their health and well-being. Scientific knowledge in this hobby is catching up; our understanding of the implications of DNA since it was discovered in the 1970's has been rapid and frankly changed most of our previously-held concepts about fish. :fish:

Thank you for the informative and diplomatic answer. I agree that I would not want beginners to get the wrong message regarding these subjects...I've been out of the game for a long time - kind-of became a forum "recluse" - things seem to have changed since I was last active.

All my books are old too, lol. I need to get some new study material it seems.

I'm not going to comment on you keeping your betta with other fish. He seems to be very healthy, and you sound like you know what you're doing. All of your fish have lived to a very good age.
I just wanted to say, welcome back to TFF! :fish::hi::fish:

I bought a betta solely because my grandson wanted one. I hadn't kept a betta since my early days of fishkeeping and although they are beautiful I had no great desire to keep one. I was loathe to take up a whole 60 litre tank to house one fish so I planted it fairly densely and put in a nerite and a school of 12 ember tetras. The betta seems to be happy with the arrangement and he glides about the tank more than he did when he was on his own. Neither species have shown any aggression towards the other. I may have been lucky but its been about 4 months now and so far so good.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back